AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im moving back to canada soon and was wondering how much better does movies from showtime or hbo HD look then dvd's? has anyone been able to compare? I heard sometimes showtime/hbo HD isn't the best quality, is it obvious to the untrained eye (which probably doesn't include you guys, lol) I know PBS and HDnet rock though, but just wondering on the movie channels, thanks

·
Banned
410 Posts
HBO HD Movies look pretty darn good. But IMHO they don't give much more than DVD's. I'm sure my statement will be flamebait for some but it's only my opinion.

Rick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My experience is that it depends on the source and the transfer.

Film transfers range from poor to excellent depending on the original source, with the bulk of what I've seen on par with most decent DVDs. (some much better, some much worse)

Video-based HD, like what you see on the demo channels and some PBS, is by far the best HD I've personally seen. Sports shot live with HD cams (i.e. HDNet) is also pretty amazing, as you stated.

You mention an untrained eye...not sure how much experience you have with HD, but your eye becomes trained rather quickly. Within a relatively short period of time you start becoming brutally aware of how bad some non-HD programming looks!

Enjoy...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Film HD transfers will obviously look less "sharp" than video HD. But, I found that the HD movies on HBO provide much cleaner and deeper colors than DVD can, and more fine detail that you wouldn't ordinarily see and/or doesn't initially stand out. For example, I recall seeing individual blades of grass in The Patriot on HBO-HD that looked fantastic. Not a standout thing, but the clean color helps to add detail.

Does that make sense?

HDTV on HBO is definitely better than the DVD. Now, HDTV on ABC is another matter.... :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
ahhhhhh, ya just cant beat a good , well defined , articulated , hi-def satellite image ......my slogan , i guess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.