AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi!

I have a 6-7 year old european Pioneer SC-LX71 receiver (not sure what this model is called in the US).

I'm thinking about replacing this with a new receiver this year, and was thinking about the European SC-LX77 (I guess this is the Elite SC75 in US?).

I'm planning using the receiver to drive a pair of old B&W 604 (series 1) front with 601 rears (and a active B&W sub).

But I have been reading favourable things about the much cheaper Sony STR-DN1040 and was starting to wonder, how much better would a Pioneer costing 2.5 x the price of the Sony be?

How is the sound quality of the Sony and will I notice the difference in power?

(Since all tests seem to compare receivers in the same price range it is different to find a test comparing the two)

BTW! Does anyone know if Sony is planning a big brother (more powerful) version of the STR-DN1040?

Thanks for any input,

Anders

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Yamaha, Arcam or NAD AV amps would be a better match for B&W speakers than Pioneer. I have a pair of B&W 601's and good match with my Yamaha, the B&W's can be a be brash on the top end with forward sound amps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522763/how-much-better-is-a-pioneer-elite-sc75-receiver-than-a-sony-str-dn1040#post_24488596

Yamaha, Arcam or NAD AV amps would be a better match for B&W speakers than Pioneer. I have a pair of B&W 601's and good match with my Yamaha, the B&W's can be a be brash on the top end with forward sound amps.

I have had 2 different NAD models and was unimpressed with both for my B&Ws. But a friend is very happy with his Yamaha 3030, so I visited my local hifi dealer (which sells both Yamaha & Pioneer) and they recommended Pioneer over Yamaha for my speakers, especially for music.

My budget for a new receiver is $2000, which gives me the following options (lowest price found in Norway):

- Pioneer SC-LX77 ($2000)

- Yamaha RX-A2030 ($1700)

- Sony STR-DN 1040 ($700)

So how much better is the $1700 Yamaha than the $700 Sony?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts