AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is my first post on this forum, I've done a lot of reading and found tons of great information!

My question is my current HT setup is a Samsung LN55b650 HDTV along with a Yamaha HTR-5740 6.1 channel home theatre in a box. The sub that came with the yamaha surround sound blew up so I ordered a Infinity PS212 and after doing some research I decided to buying 3 pairs of Energy RC10 bookshelf speakers from Vanns ($279/pair) my Front L,C,R and my Rear L,C,R. I was wondering how much better this should sound than the ht in a box I had before?

Also, if I can save up money in the future is it worth it for me to upgrade the av reciever or will the yamaha on work good enough for now? Is there going to be that big of an improvement by buying a better reciever? If so which reciever would be a good choice for under $800

Most of the use for the surround system is for watching Blu rays and playing video games along with a small amound of listening to music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
I think that your new setup will sound substantially better. the RC-10's are very nice bookshelves for the money and the PS212 is a great sub.


Why 6.1 though?


And im not sure how big of a difference a new receiver would make, but you could find a very nice one for under $800 if you want to upgrade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18163077


Why 6.1 though?


And im not sure how big of a difference a new receiver would make, but you could find a very nice one for under $800 if you want to upgrade

The Yamaha 5740 was a 6.1 set up when I bought it. It consists of 3 front and 3 small rear surround speakers, although its hard to tell if the rear center does very much for adding any sound. It could very easily be a 5.1 and probably sound the same. So im just gonna try and keep it 6.1 with better speakers and see how it works out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what a good receiver would be or if a new one would make much difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
Onkyo 607, 707 or 807 would be good receivers. Pick the one that suits your needs best. They are 7.1 or 7.2 receivers, so I recommend you either buy a single Energy RC10 or buy the dedicated matched center for the RC10s and use the current center as your other rear speaker. Also if the bass doesn't suit you, you can pick up another sub identical to what you have now and I'm sure you would be very pleased with your new 7.2 setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation2003 /forum/post/18163038


Hi guys this is my first post on this forum, I've done a lot of reading and found tons of great information!

My question is my current HT setup is a Samsung LN55b650 HDTV along with a Yamaha HTR-5740 6.1 channel home theatre in a box. The sub that came with the yamaha surround sound blew up so I ordered a Infinity PS212 and after doing some research I decided to buying 3 pairs of Energy RC10 bookshelf speakers from Vanns ($279/pair) my Front L,C,R and my Rear L,C,R. I was wondering how much better this should sound than the ht in a box I had before?

Also, if I can save up money in the future is it worth it for me to upgrade the av reciever or will the yamaha on work good enough for now? Is there going to be that big of an improvement by buying a better reciever? If so which reciever would be a good choice for under $800

Most of the use for the surround system is for watching Blu rays and playing video games along with a small amound of listening to music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation2003 /forum/post/18163135


The Yamaha 5740 was a 6.1 set up when I bought it. It consists of 3 front and 3 small rear surround speakers, although its hard to tell if the rear center does very much for adding any sound. It could very easily be a 5.1 and probably sound the same. So im just gonna try and keep it 6.1 with better speakers and see how it works out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what a good receiver would be or if a new one would make much difference?

temptation I have voiced this opinion many times.....if your trying to improve the SQ,speakers are going to make the biggest impact.

Have you heard the the Energy RC10 or was it a blind buy? Did you go listen to any speakers locally to find what type of speakers(sound wise) you like? How much $$$ do have right now for a new AVR(is it the $800)?

If you can return everything and combine that with the $$$ you have for a AVR,go listen to speakers and find some you like. You can research those speakers and try to find them cheaper or some that would sound similar and take a chance on a blind buy.

I would use all that $$$ and upgrade your fronts 1st and if you can the matching center. Next would be a good ID sub and the rears last. You can use the speakers you have now to fill in the gaps until you upgrade them.

I'm not knocking the Energy RC10 but you will end up with alot better system by doing this.

Just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/18163642


Have you heard the the Energy RC10 or was it a blind buy? Did you go listen to any speakers locally to find what type of speakers(sound wise) you like? How much $$$ do have right now for a new AVR(is it the $800)?


I would use all that $$$ and upgrade your fronts 1st and if you can the matching center. Next would be a good ID sub and the rears last. You can use the speakers you have now to fill in the gaps until you upgrade them.

I'm not knocking the Energy RC10 but you will end up with alot better system by doing this.

Just my opinion.

Hi, thanks for replying. I haven't heard the Energy RC10 before, so yeah it was a blind buy. But in my defense I live literally 2 1/2hrs away from the nearest bestbuy let alone a decent audio store! So all I really have to rely on is you guys the internet audio gurus and the opinions and reviews of speakers you post on the net. And from what I read most of the people seem to like the Energy RC10's. I've bought my MB Quart components for my truck stereo by reading opinions and also my Samsung LN55b650 and was not disappointed in the least bit along with a lot of other stuff and luckily its all turned out fine. I figure if you do enough reading and research you can eliminate some of the models that probably wouldn't sound or perform as well as one expects.

As far as money for the Audio Video Receiver goes about 800 would be my limit, I should be able to afford it by mid summer. So you say I could end up with a lot better system by buying fronts first and then sub etc... What would you recommend if not the RC10's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
If you aren't super fussy (and most people aren't, particularly in the less than $1K for 5.1, or 6.1, range) you will love the RC-10.


Going with three identical pairs was a great idea, much better than getting the "matching" (read, compromised) centre channel; if your setup allows, always get 3 identical speakers across the front, matching the rest was just a bit of bonus.


Try them with your current receiver before buying a new one - you may be happy (and less poor).


Although the Infinity is a decent sub, if you haven't committed then get something better with the $$ you save by keeping your old receiver - that would definitely have more impact on your HT experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of sub (brand) would give me good deep bass? I love bass, I've got 2 12's in my truck pushing 500rms each and they hit pretty good. I hit 132db with a sealed box in a dodge ram quad cab. So what is a good sub for deep loud bass?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation2003 /forum/post/18164725


Hi, thanks for replying. I haven't heard the Energy RC10 before, so yeah it was a blind buy. But in my defense I live literally 2 1/2hrs away from the nearest bestbuy let alone a decent audio store! So all I really have to rely on is you guys the internet audio gurus and the opinions and reviews of speakers you post on the net. And from what I read most of the people seem to like the Energy RC10's. I've bought my MB Quart components for my truck stereo by reading opinions and also my Samsung LN55b650 and was not disappointed in the least bit along with a lot of other stuff and luckily its all turned out fine. I figure if you do enough reading and research you can eliminate some of the models that probably wouldn't sound or perform as well as one expects.

As far as money for the Audio Video Receiver goes about 800 would be my limit, I should be able to afford it by mid summer. So you say I could end up with a lot better system by buying fronts first and then sub etc... What would you recommend if not the RC10's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18165007


look into the ID brands like SVS, HSU, ED and Epik.


depends on your budget but all companies have very nice subs

Well you could look at saturdayaudio,they have good deals on Monitor Audio & PSB. THose are great buys for the money.


As far as subs I would look at the ID companies Santa pointed to. All of them make great subs for the money.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top