AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a CRT projector (ECP-4100...still have it actually), and now have an inFocus LP420...which sadly must be sold because it cannot "flip" the image and be mounted near the ceiling.

I'm wondering what "contrast ratio" is "adequate" for theater/TV use...I'm not looking for state of the art, just something "decent" to get me by for now.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wsa:

What ever you are satisfied with when watching. You just have to see some projectors to get a feel for it.

I live right down the road from you in Albuquerque North Valley. I'd be glad to help you get started and show you my Boxlight 38T/Grayhawk/Quadscan Elite setup. Email me with your phone number and I'll call you directly.

Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
After several years of CRT front projection I had grown used to the inky blackness available, which allowed a slightly soft but 3-dimensional effect. I was unprepared for the shock of seeing blacks becoming grays on the Sony 10HT, where a contrast ratio of 200 or so just did not seem enough. But I was disappointed in my new JVC D-ILA G11, whose out-of-box 350 contrast ratio just did not seem enough either. After tuning the black level with DILARD (including going too far and then back again), I would estimate the result at about 500-600 or so--I have certaily heard higher numbers from professionally calibrated machines. It is now "acceptable", but I feel that this is about the minumum. Dark movies still suffer. However, high definition simply blows away HD-RPTVs, and all is forgiven. Perhaps someone can explain the perceptual apparatus that results in sharper images somehow seeming more contrasty.

------------------

JVC G11U D-ILA, BarcoGraphics400, HTPC, DIRECTV-HD, Apogee Stages & 18" Isobarik L/R, 15" JBL B380 LFE, Outlaw 6.1, BGW power.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Depends on the individual. A true 200:1 on a gray screen gives a reasonable image IMO and if any ambient is present it may be difficult to get much better than this unless one has a very bright projector.

In controlled lighting, the purists will always want better contrast mainly because it drives them crazy to see any grayish-ness to the black level. The eye is so sensitive that good CRTs are required to keep such folk happy. Its not the contrast to these folks, its absolute black level.

IMO, anyone that isn't happy with 600:1 should be using black felt for a screen so they can start complaining about white level.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK,

I hear you guys saying something that I never expected.

GREY screens? BLACK screens?

Is this what folks are doing to get good blacks/contrast from LCD/DLP?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Do a search on the screens forum (or this forum) for grey or gray screens.

A black felt screen is the extreme case, no one does it in practise, but it apparently works with a bright enough projector in a small enough screen.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
402 Posts
FYI - the later radeon drivers can flip your image for you if you're using an htpc

------------------

Darren Rogers

The Eagle

The eagle soars and flies in peace

And casts its shadow wide

Across the land, across the seas

Across the far-flung skies

The foolish think the eagle weak

And easy to bring to heel

The Eagle's wings are silken

But its claws are made of steel

The eagle stands for freedom

May we never let it die

And give thanks for all our blessings

As we watch the eagle fly

- Sidney Sheldon

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...found the info on the grey screens and paints.

I'm going to home depot tomorrow to get a piece of plywood and the "Snowfield" paint...that'll get me in the ballpark.

I also emailed "KBK" for info on his paint mix.

I'm using an iScan V2 to drive the inFocus LP420.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Being a former CRT owner and now a reasonably happy 21N clone owner I have to say that going digital requires making concessions in regard to black level, contrast, and the overall at home cinema experience. IMO CRT still presents a more natural, three dimensional, better contrast, smoother graduations of color, better black level than digital. This compromise is not one that every CRT owner could make. I wanted a smaller projector for my living room that would work during the day so I made those concessions. If I had a dedicated theatre room for the highest quality picture I would go back to CRT.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I read somewhere that how good the contrast actually is depends on the lumens output. i.e a projector with 800 lumens and contrast 600:1 will appear (contrast wise)a lot better than another projector with 2000 lumens and contrast 600:1. So you should take the lumens rating into account when looking at contrast figures.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Jeffy, Those who have bought Sanyos with high contrast and high output are generally extremely happy with their projectors, i.e. they can't be bright enough.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well...light isn't everything. I know many users out there like high lumen on there projector, but as a Sony W400q user that only has 400lumen, i can say if you can dim your ligt then more is not a must. the contrast level on this unit is not high, but with the right tweaking, and a dark room, you have a good cinema like picture...i love this unit...but it is an old lady.

just a remark

Nicolas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.