AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it all. Anyone recording multiple HD streams while playing one back?

How my CPU is needed for this?

I'm thinking 9300 or 9400 Mobo.

Mike

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Recording requires very little. Playback requires relatively little these days too.

I can and do record up to 5 channels from 5 different tuners while playing back a show on the HTPC and feeding another show to a different client PC on the network. (Think of it as 7 total HD streams coming or going at the same time.)

This with an old AMD A64 3200+ single core proc and 7600GT gfx. All streams recorded to a single 7200 rpm HDD.

-Suntan

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Tuners have hardware mpeg2 encoders, so as others have said, the CPU usage is minimal. I've recorded 2 shows while playing Fallout3 or CoD5 with no issues.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/15561230

Tuners have hardware mpeg2 encoders, so as others have said, the CPU usage is minimal. I've recorded 2 shows while playing Fallout3 or CoD5 with no issues.

HD (digital) tuners don't have hardware mpeg2 encoders. The streams are already MPEG2 (or H.264) encoded so the tuners are really just a passthrough when recording. MPEG2 encoders were only needed for analog tuners.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/15561341

Ah, I see. Funny. Recording a HD show takes less overall processing than analog.

That's only because the networks have already done the encoding for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts