AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never did get around to calling the ghostbusters so if he/SHE is still around I wish she would show herself like the guy did to Jane Seymour in "The Haunting Passion". I bought the best in Direct View

I have countless times the average member of this forum, and this baby performs. I now have the Toshiba 4800 to do zoom scaling without a icon being *seen*, I just didn't want to buy a discontinued model from Malata. I also got DVD-A (Audio) with the new 4800.

The current reading is 13,975 at 3:27PM, it's being used to type this response to you in the full stretch mode from 5 feet away. The parameter of view using webtv is 15 instead of 19 inches high and 19.25 instead of 33.25 inches wide. I am not chopping off anything. Tom I hope I get a female ghost visit, with a voice like SAL 9000 from 2010. Have a happy Thanksgiving. :)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The only TV I've owned that has ever failed is a 10year old Sony 27" analog set. A year ago, a part failed in its power supply so it wouldn't turn on. I got it fixed for $150 and gave the set away to a relative to upgrade their even older set (which was my set before that one and still works). I bought a new Toshiba 34" 16:9 HDTV set last January and no problems so far with it.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like my dealer to pull the wire from the Scan Velocity Modulation unit. I know it entails but I am physically unable to pul the 216 pounds just for the HDTV alone out then take out the screws to the back panel go t where the SVM is and disconnect the one wire which will disable it.

When my dealers sends a repair man he is for a surprise to see all that's hooked up to the now over 1 year old set. $ DVD players, 1 Webtv unit, 1 VCR an a few other goodies, so far no one has ever seen my Home Theater.

I am just curious whether I want to spend the money on the SVM or buy a lot more Non-A that I can now view as Anamorphic due to my purchase of a Toshiba SD-4800 with its dispeering zoom icon. I am bugged by a 84 year old parent which will call the move a waste of money. She just can't stay out of my life. She is friends with the dealer as she runs trips for our local church, if I know her she'll ask about HDTV to tell me all about it. If I know Joe he will tell her I had paid for the removal of the SVM.

You get the picture Don its not the money its the explanation, I will have to give dear old mom when she finds out. I can buy all the goodies, tape them up with wide black electrcal tape so she doesn't know what the device is; but I don't want to have to explain a service call on the SVM.

How do you explain things to cupon cutting mom to save 10¢, she still does to save a crappy dime. If she ever knew what I have into my HT she would **** a brick!:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
The only TV I've owned that has ever failed is a 10year old Sony 27" analog set. A year ago, a part failed in its power supply so it wouldn't turn on. I got it fixed for $150 and gave the set away to a relative to upgrade their even older set (which was my set before that one and still works). I bought a new Toshiba 34" 16:9 HDTV set last January and no problems so far with it.
Don,

I have 27" XBR Trinitron that's just about the same age and it recently began showing exactly the same problem you describe. I haven't looked into getting it fixed and I guessed that it would either cost to much or there would not be parts for it. Glad I saw your post here!

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Service calls are cheap.

It's the service that costs.

The final cost depends on what is wrong with the unit and

what it takes to fix it. That is pretty obvious, isn't it?

Service breaks down into two basic parts. Technical issues and

quality issues.

If your problem is "no sound" and when the service center is finished

it has sound then technically it is fixed. What then if you are not satisfied

with the quality of the sound? Is it fixed?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
I would like my dealer to pull the wire from the Scan Velocity Modulation unit.
I would think that you would be very hard pressed to get an authorized repair person to actually disconnect the SVM, as this would be considered breaking something as opposed to repairing it. This would be especially true with an average repair person who would probably have no idea that SVM is really not a good thing.

Your best bet would be contacting an ISF calibrator in your area. While he is disconnecting the SVM, you may as well have him do a grey scale calibration.

If your mother questions what is going on, explain that there was a problem with the accuracy of the colors on your set and this guy is fixing the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.