AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my room isn't a dedicated theatre but has good light control

the walls which my fixed screen is on is white though and my ceiling is white

How much difference would painting the wall and celing a dark colour really make ?

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts

How much difference would painting the wall and celing a dark colour really make ?
Night and day :)

Seriously, the improvement in ANSI contrast and in immersion are probably more important than any hardware upgrade you can make, provided you have a decent 1080p projector or better to start with.

Before going above than $3000 for a projector, I'd definitely improve the room first.

I went for black velvet everywhere because it's a dedicated room, but even dark, mat paint at least 2m inside the room on ceiling and walls as well as dark carpet would make a huge difference vs white walls.

Because it's a bat cave, I get the best performance from the projector, the room has almost no impact on the ANSI contrast of the projector,say it goes from 350:1 to 300:1, while in a room like yours you would probably go from 350:1 to 100:1 or less.

my screen is smallish (88" diag 16/9) but because there is no reference from the room (no distraction, just the screen floating in a black space) it provides a much better immersion.

I went from all white to all black progressively (including using sticky velvet for speakers, etc), so I'm talking from experience.

Black velvet (not shiny) is best if you can.

There is a thread about this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...read-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back.html

Beware, the title is true: once you start, there is no way back :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It makes a very large difference. Though, even after going matte black for the ceiling and dark brown for the walls, I still went for velvet curtains to envelop the projection screen. The dark room does two things, the first is the obvious contrast enhancements, the second is the focus of the screen. To make the last point clearer, when your entire field of view is black with only the screen as your focus, your immersion in the material is that much better.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have two JVC RS20 projectors at the moment. One in the downstairs batcave, the other in the white upstairs lounge.

The upstairs one looks very ordinary. As soon as the screen lights up in a bright scene, the walls reflect back the light and contrast goes to pot.

It's OK in very dark scenes, but ANSI contrast would be lucky to be 50:1.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts

Huge. You ever go to a commercial movie theater that was painted the same as an operating room? I thought not ! And you don't even have to make everything black - dark shades of gray work too. Check out my photo gallery ( and other forum members photos too ) for some ideas - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=2082359&page=1

And this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...read-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.