AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a home theater system in my unfinished attic. I have framed and am doing the mechanicals now. I will likely sell the home in one more year and then build again. So I don't want a dream system just something decent. the room is 20x20 and the screen can be as much as 140 inches wide. Which is probably too big but its no big deal to shrink it right. Do to budget and for a clean install I will use screen paint instead of a screen. I don't have dish or cable and pretty much the highest quality I would get is upconverted DVDs. So basically what the best value in a machine that will do dvd quality? Will a hd100U do the trick or do I need something more like an infocus 76?

Very open to suggestions and recomendations I appreciate you helping a newbie out.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I have an HD70 and love its picture quality (PQ). It cost me much less than its $1K MSRP. Many speaker highly of the HD1000U. It is also a $1K machine. You won't be disappointed in either. (IMO) Make sure you have enough headroom for their steep offset however. The HD70 is 28% and the HD1000 is (I think) 33%. If you need more info about offset do a search in this forum. My explanation would not be as good as you could find elsewhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I got my HD1000 a few days ago and I highly recommend it, less than $900 shipped. Even though you don't have HD now, the extra resolution will make your image better. An when you do get HD, you'll be all set with the HD1000.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
then after that....

get an hdmi receiver that doesn't have the lfe bug.

oh wait. nevermind.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
and then after that....

get a hd-dvd player that doesn't have black crush.

oh wait. nevermind

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys mitsubishi it is

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yeah one more will this projector look good at screen sizes over 110 inches or so?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
How high are you going to mount it? At 7.6 feet including the mount. the image is 2 feet from the ground at 106". A 140 inch image would be on the floor unless you tilted the projector up and either used keystone or tilted the top of the screen out a few inches.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The best value for DVD viewing in the digital projector realm would be the under $600 Infocus IN72, provided you sit about 2x the width of the screen away. If you sit closer the HD1000U is a good choice.

Of course the best DVD picture quality by far would be a CRT projector with FFDShow gamma correction and unsharpen mask filter.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/0

oh yeah one more will this projector look good at screen sizes over 110 inches or so?

I ran my Infocus 4805 at 10.5' x 5.9' (about 12' diagonal/144") and it looked very impressive with a good DVD like Lost. Of course to increase the picture quality at that size I use an advanced FFDShow sharpening filter.

Distance from the screen matters more than the size. For instance, if you're sitting 16' away from an 8' wide image and move up the screen size to 10.5+ wide without changing your seating distance obviously a dvd won't look better, but if you keep the same viewing ratio it won't look much different. If you sit around 1.7-2x the width of the screen you should be fine.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/0

Depending on how far back you set is what going to determine the screen size and ceiling height will also limit your screen size.

My Personal Opinion the lumens this projector produces, a 120 inch screen would be perfect and still have a brightness "POP" I like. Remember the bulb dims as it ages so that brightness POP fades fast, if going too large. Make sure the seating distance and the ceiling height match you screen size.

Second.... Paint makes vary good screen but at 120 you need to use a bright white that has some hardness to it. Flat is too soft and will not reflect as well as an harder sheen, I used eggshell it has a slight sheen to it, after that is simi-gloss but its usually to hard, and hot spots. The harder the paint the higher the screen gain.

Third the Oppo up scaler was around 200 dollars and is one of the best at it's price point, but I just purchased an A2 HD DVD for only a couple hundred more than the Oppo, and the A2 up scales normal DVD's a little better than the Oppo not to mention the quality of HD DVD resolution can not be matched from from any up scaler. All the money you saved on the PJ and screen it's not a bad idea to consider pushing that 720 Mits chip to it's quality LIMIT. A couple hundred is not that much in comparison to the whole project.

Hope this helps a little. Good Luck

Hear are a couple shots of a painted screen(110") and dark wall, dark carpet, Oppo 720 up scale. I think I'm going to up date my photos, and take some HD-DVD screen shots tonight. (Edit) sorry just noticed you can't see the carpet it's the same color as the walls.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/88050192.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../PICT01161.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ceiling is 123 inches feet at the peak and goes down to 6 feet on the sides. So using the projectior central calculator a 132 inch screen is 115x65

so with the screen 24" off the ground +65" for screen + 22 inch offset the projector should be 12" down from the ceiling. the ceiling fan is near the midpoint of the offset so I probably have 22-23" that the fan can hang down. The height between the windows is 94" so the picture can go higher but would start hitting the ceiling fan. is 2 feet a decent screen height? Am I missing anything?

As far as paint the walls will be initially satin white, inbetween flat and semigloss. The projector central calculator is recomending a gain of 2 or so what kind of gain would a satin wall give you?

If I set my max screen size at 132 inches the projector will mount at 15.8 feet and screen size can go down to 110 Would I ever want anything bigger than that. Thats the only thing I am not to excited about I was hopeing the projector would set at the back of the room rather than 1/4 of the way in the room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.