AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading up on projectors here for about a week or so, I have seen reference to the screen door affect. I never knew what it was until I actually seen some images that someone posted. Ah Ha I said to myself. That's what the screen door affect is.

Thus, I was wondering about how expensive of a projector do you have to get before you don't see it.

Thanks

m00n

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
All digital projectors have some screen door effect. LCD type projectors have the worst screen door while DLP are much better, but suffer from rainbows, which some people can see. But screen door can be eliminated if you sit far enough away, which is about 1.5 x the screen width for most LCDs. It is best to start viewing some to see what you like. Of course you could always go with a CRT or wait for LCOS products.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There are a lot of factors involved in how you percieve the screen door effect. Many are projector related, # of pixels, fill factor, focus, etc. But don't forget the human element. As stated earlier, it's always there to some extent. The key is at what point does it not bother YOU. There is no $ answer, okay, maybe there is but you are in the

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You really need to be back twice the width of the screen to avoid seeing screen door. I am back 1.7x the width on a high resolution projector 1366x768 and I can see it plain as day. This is even worse on XGA and SVGA LCD displays. Try to avoid any lower than XGA resolution if your are concerned with screendoor.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
BTW you cannot judge a projector (or anything) by screen shots
AnthonyP is completely right on this one. Screenshots are the BIGGEST joke on this forum. I cannot believe people look at them and comment on them as if they are a reliable source of objective data.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian
This is even worse on XGA and SVGA LCD displays. Try to avoid any lower than XGA resolution if your are concerned with screendoor.

Lenny Eckian
I thought I had read someplace that XGA was the best. Am I confused on this? I am not new to PC's so I understand resolution and all that, but very new to projection systems. What is the best in terms of VGA, XGA, SVGA etc...

Thanks

m00n.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
m00n

My display is WXGA, 1366x768 and XGA is 1024x768 so the screendoor is more apparent on the XGA projector.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
m00n

My display is WXGA, 1366x768 and XGA is 1024x768 so the screendoor is more apparent on the XGA projector.

Lenny Eckian
What projector do you have?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
AnthonyP is completely right on this one. Screenshots are the BIGGEST joke on this forum. I cannot believe people look at them and comment on them as if they are a reliable source of objective data.

Lenny Eckian
Please, do tell... what *would* be a "reliable source of objective data"?

Ken

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenfab

Please, do tell... what *would* be a "reliable source of objective data"?

Ken
Instrument based measurements performed in a black room, with the same screen, same source equipment, performed by ISF certified or equivilant technician.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
m00n

My display is WXGA, 1366x768 and XGA is 1024x768 so the screendoor is more apparent on the XGA projector. What projector do you have?

Lenny Eckian
I have a SE Cinema 13HD

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lenny, I believe the point you're trying to make is that it's best to strive for an apples-to-apples comparison, regardless of the subject matter, is it not? If so, would not a series of screenshots with clearly indicated conditions, be worthwhile? In other words, can one not make valid comparisons, regardless of whether one has acquired the dubious ISF certification? As an example, check this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=141234

Ken

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
kenfab

I find those screenshots amusing and I like looking at the pretty colors but I would never consider them as a good source of information to compare one projector against another. The viewer has no way of knowing how carefully each projector was adjusted, no idea of the integrity of the wiring and connections of the source to each projector, and a multitude of other factors. If you look carefully at each picture you will see that they are not even the same frame and you have no idea how the shot was "frozen" which makes a huge difference on how each frame would appear.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
ken since screen door is affected by focus, distance, image size... there is no way of making it objective even with the best intentions. Also you are adding to the mix the strengths and weaknesses of the camera used, image detail (how much is the picture resolution/ compression)...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guys, you must realize that I completely understand your points, and believe me, coming from a 15 year career in the tech industry (and counting) I know how frustrating it is to attempt to qualitatively gather any sort of "objective" data, regardless of the source. However, since we're talking about the Real World (tm) here, how can *any* source of information on audio/video *ever* be labeled "objective"? In other words, let's take Lenny example of a "reliable source of objective data":

"Instrument based measurements performed in a black room, with the same screen, same source equipment, performed by ISF certified or equivalent technician."

Lenny, would not your same argument still apply? ---> "The viewer has no way of knowing how carefully each projector was adjusted, no idea of the integrity of the wiring and connections of the source to each projector, and a multitude of other factors."

Again, I fully empathize with how these tests *should* be conducted, but I maintain that average users using *very similar* equipment can come up with relatively close comparisons using quality screenshots.

My intention is to continue my ongoing pursuit of "perfection" with regards to the visual quality of the AE100, and then gradually come up with perhaps some benchmark tests that will clearly state all hardware and software involved in the process. Already, I believe JPinto and I are extremely close in the quality of the equipment we're using to display and capture our screenshots. I'd like to contact him soon so that we may further refine the process.

Perhaps in doing so, we may all come up with the means to "objectively" (as much as possible) measure the actual difference between all projectors so that many will benefit from information that is as free from subjectivity as possible.

Ken

PS I may fail miserably at this pursuit, but I think it's a worthwhile effort. :)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
mOOn,

if you get a chance demo a JVC D-ILA or Hitachi 5500. both are LCOS and you shouldn't be able to see the screen door beyond .5 screen widths away.

used JVC G10 ~$4k. Wow!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.