AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really sorry for such a noob question, but I am totally a newbie here at the home-audio thingy and would like to learn more. I am currently going to get an energy act6 system speakers with my HT-R340 receiver. Maybe in the next 3-4 months when I have the money the next thing I'll do is upgrade my receiver. The question to ask is, will it help to enhances the sound quality? I don't need detailed explanation on how receivers enhances sound quality, maybe several sentences would do me good..

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Impossible to say. Modern AVR's do have room correction, which can help according to some people. More power, assuming you needed more power, would help in ensuring you are not getting distortion due to a lack of power.

Some receivers may sound better than others, but that's one of those things that's personal and unprovable.

I would buy for features more than anything such as HDMI, Blu-ray audio decoding, auto setup and room correction or other features which will make your life simpler.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm..so what I am getting from here is that the different receivers with different price doesn't have that much significance in improving sound quality rather they mostly differ on the features they have?

·
Registered
83 Posts
My understanding of it would be yes it can effect the sq. ie bass management, crossovers. However I believe for the most part, especially blu ray and other uncompressed content your receiver shouldn’t change much to anything, no receiver can do better than uncompressed. Watching other content your receiver can and will change alot depending on the DSP modes. ie dolby's, DTS and NEO's. More expensive receivers can offer better processing of those sources which in turn generally sound better but you usually pay for what you get.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that's my point.. to put it short, would a say $5000 receiver and a $500 receiver has a hugeee different in the SQ? Assume that my video/blue ray player is a PS3?

·
Registered
83 Posts
IMO no not a chance. But it does effect the sq enough to do resarch to find the best sounding one in your price range. Remember we are talking the processor of the reciever not the amplifer portion which effects the sound quite a bit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if I upgrade my HT-R340 to a TX-606, it won't give me a huge improvements in the SQ? I checked the amplifier portion of both and it seems like there's not that much difference... if that's so, what should I do to improve SQ besides speakers of course which creates a huge difference in SQ

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EquinoX- /forum/post/15589450

Yes, that's my point.. to put it short, would a say $5000 receiver and a $500 receiver has a hugeee different in the SQ? Assume that my video/blue ray player is a PS3?

You're looking at the wrong end of the system. Your speakers matter. Your room mattters. Amplification at vanishing distortion levels is cheap and abundant. Signal processing is likewise. Source material is just 1s and 0s etched on plastic by the millions.

williak

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so speakers and rooms are both a large factor... sadly I only live at an apartment which doesn't have a fancy sound isolation or sound proof, or anything like that

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EquinoX- /forum/post/15589617

ok, so speakers and rooms are both a large factor... sadly I only live at an apartment which doesn't have a fancy sound isolation or sound proof, or anything like that

Not the issue. Speaker placement (distance from walls, toe-in, angled up/down) matter hugely. Similarly wall hangings (pictures, posters, tapestries, knee walls, open atria) matter a lot. Consider subwoofers. Simply the dimension of a room will set up "nodes" where certain frequencies are enhanced while others are diminished in perceived volume. If you are into SQ, then get off your butt and start learning about what affects SQ! These are not national security secrets.

williak

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I would love to learn how to improve some SQ... the problem that I feel now with my current HT is that whenever I watch movies (blue ray from the PS3), the sound of the people talking doesn't seem to be very clear/crisp, however when it comes to gun shootings and bomb explosions or something like that, it's really good! any idea why this is? Is it the speaker settings?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Bump your center channel level up, and position the center channel right at your ears. You might need to tilt it a bit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what are some good receivers that has room correction for under $500? I am guessing the rear speakers has nothing to do with the "unclarity" of the people speaking right?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well i guess I'm in disagreement.

I happen to think High Current receivers are significantly "better sounding" that your average $250-$300 receivers that aren't. Not only that but the components used in higher end systems are of much better quality that leads to better sound resolution imho.

just my opinion.

test,

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EquinoX- /forum/post/15589698

whenever I watch movies [...], the sound of the people talking doesn't seem to be very clear/crisp

Aha! Now you are expressing a problem with which we can ALL sympathize. Movie soundtracks are supposed to be played LOUD - insanely loud, illegally loud, loud enough that the big guy that lives in the apartment four doors down from you will come and rip your arm off and beat you to death with it if you even THINK about playing a movie that loud. THAT is your problem and it is one many of us have experienced no matter what audio environment we have. If it isn't the guy down the hall, it's the wife reading upstairs or the baby trying to take a nap or the family pets who make puddles when they hear the lion roar.

Equipment manufacturers have come to the rescue with "night modes" where the dynamic range of the source material is compressed such that bombs only sound like gunshots and dialogue (lot of whispering in movies, huh?) is much easier to understand.

williak

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williak /forum/post/15589861

Equipment manufacturers have come to the rescue with "night modes" where the dynamic range of the source material is compressed such that bombs only sound like gunshots and dialogue (lot of whispering in movies, huh?) is much easier to understand.

williak

Ahhhh.. Anything but DRC! Certainly not a rescue in my book!

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 /forum/post/15589791

I happen to think High Current receivers are significantly "better sounding" that your average $250-$300 receivers that aren't. Not only that but the components used in higher end systems are of much better quality that leads to better sound resolution imho.

test,

Test,

You really have to go by specs and not this "better sounding" or "better quality" or "better sound" or any other subjective nonsense. If your speakers require more current than your amps can provide at a given volume with a given material, then they will put the amp into clipping and Vo/Vi is no longer linear which will sound like dishes breaking instead of Sade cooing.

In that case, your "High Current" receiver (or outboard amp) is called for. For speakers (or material) with lesser demands on the amps, lesser receivers will operate within specs. The question then becomes, "What specs?" I defy you to tell the difference between .05%THD and .005%THD, so if the cheapie is somewhere in that range, it will be indistinguishable from any other unit in the same range.

This bothers some people to no end and I really don't understand why. That the industry has developed to the point where equipment is available for a song that produces better sound than ANYTHING available a short time ago seems to me to be a reason to rejoice, not to wail and gnash teeth.

williak

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EquinoX- /forum/post/15589775

what are some good receivers that has room correction for under $500? I am guessing the rear speakers has nothing to do with the "unclarity" of the people speaking right?

Equinox, Denon makes three receivers that would fit your budget with room correction. The AVR-789, AVR-689, and AVR-589. Here is the link:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

1 - 20 of 28 Posts