AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is prompted by the Hoax thread but I didn't want to hijack it.

Assuming that there are actual differences between all of the various audio standards, how much difference would be noticeable in a real-world, acoustically sub-standard room equipped with entry level speakers? The system is going into a converted sun-room with tons of glass and brick and a cathedral ceiling. I don't imagine installing more than a 5.1 system and placement will be far from ideal. I may even start with a 2.1 or soundbar.

In short, I won't be happy if it doesn't sound very good but I don't expect it to sound great or "perfect". Is there any reason for me to worry about the added functionality above and beyond a PS3 or S350? (along w/an entry level Sony or Onkyo AVR)

Thanks

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
It is possible that whatever you have now can play DVD-Audio or SACD discs at full quality (i.e., not just playing their CD-style compatibility audio). If so, play a good one of those and see if you can tell an improvement over normal CDs.

If you can, then odds are you will also appreciate the difference from the "lossless" audio tracks on Blu-Ray movies. They are essentially doing the same thing.

-------------------------------------

There are diminishing returns in chasing audio nirvana, but I think most people with modest setups will be able to appreciate the additional audio quality if they go far enough to actually be able to play the lossless Blu-Ray tracks -- i.e., they are not merely playing the "normal" quality "compatibility" tracks also found on those discs.

A 40GB PS3 and a decent HDMI receiver, along with a reasonable (not exotic) set of speakers AND A SUBWOOFER will get you there. If you have extra money to spend, then upgrade speakers first, then the receiver (consider a separate pre-amp processor paired with a multi-channel power amp), then room treatments to make your room sound better, and only THEN would you need to consider any player more expensive than the 40GB PS3.

You will need good curtains over the glass (to cut down light as well while you are viewing), and put up some stuff on the walls (pictures and such) and a rug on the floor to help make the room less echoey. That's plenty to start with as far as room treatment.

--Bob

·
Registered
27,103 Posts
If you know the basics about acoustics you can do wonders with modest equipment and crude, inexpensive treatments. Ditto Bob. Try Alton Everett's Handbook of Acoustics. That's where my odyssey began..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My influence/Wife's influence

AV equipment 90/10

AV placement 80/20

AV budget 60/40

furniture 50/50

pictures 40/60

rug 20/80

window treatments 10/90

It's my world, welcome to it.

[and thanks]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14331157

Do you think your wife would mind if you nailed a bunch of egg cartons to the walls?

--Bob

No problem. I'll just need to put them up after she's gone to bed and take them down before she gets up. The spackling will be a bear...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts