AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is the monthly fee for all the HD stuff and can I get it without a zillion non-HD "premium" movie channels? Most of my movies are DVD (HTPC and tweaked 9500LC) and I'm never going to want to watch much older movies on HBO, etc. unless they are HD. Also I'm VERY intrigued by HD Net...especially the travel stuff I read about recently.

If Travel channel, Discovery, etc were HD (? anytime soon?) that would be great!

I get OTA just fine with HiPix, but would consider buying a box if enough HD were on.

Also...I just lurk here, is there any more on DTV and Dish merging?

Thanks

PS - did the "switch on the back problem" ever get resolved with the Zenith...or is there another "best current STB" now available?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Right now there are 3 HD channels on Directv. HDNet is free!!! With HD-HBO and SHO-HD those come when you buy the movie channel packages for those respective channels. I pay around $20 a month for both. To get SHO-HD you have to have a Sat-C kit installed on your dish to receive it. To get the others you need an oval dish and a HD Sat Receiver and you are set.

Mike

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can't get HBO, Showtime, or HDNet over-the-air, and you can't get ABC, CBS, PBS, or NBC from satellite. So they are mutually exclusive.

If you want to go the HiPix route, the answer is to get the Hipix, and then track down an old Dish Network 5000 HDTV receiver with OTA module. Then you can record ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, HBO, and Showtime all in High Def onto your PC.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
East and west coast feeds of CBS HD are available on Dish, if you qualify.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
New subcribers to Directv® must purchase the Total Choice® package in order to get the HBO and SHOHD channels. So that means $31.99 Total Choice® $12 HBO and $10 Showtime.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
You can't get HBO, Showtime, or HDNet over-the-air, and you can't get ABC, CBS, PBS, or NBC from satellite. So they are mutually exclusive.

If you want to go the HiPix route, the answer is to get the Hipix, and then track down an old Dish Network 5000 HDTV receiver with OTA module. Then you can record ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, HBO, and Showtime all in High Def onto your PC.
Bad advice there (sorry feldon23) but I wouldn't get a Dish 5000 at all. They will be phased out, so you will be paying a premium for a receiver that will no longer work for your recording purposes.

For me, DirecTV is the way to go, but I only get one local in HD. Still, HDNET absolutely rocks and is way worth it, IMHO.

Mike

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How are they going to stop a Dish 5000 from working?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbw23air
Right now there are 3 HD channels on Directv. HDNet is free!!! With HD-HBO and SHO-HD those come when you buy the movie channel packages for those respective channels. I pay around $20 a month for both. To get SHO-HD you have to have a Sat-C kit installed on your dish to receive it. To get the others you need an oval dish and a HD Sat Receiver and you are set.

Mike
Are you saying that I do not need a HDTV receiver to get SHO-HD, only the SAT-C upgrade?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.