AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go into a Best Buy or other local CE store, I always like to check what they have displayed on their end caps. My two local stores have the magnolia sections as well, Both located in the Boston area. I always seem to find at least 5-6 Blu-ray set ups not including 2 PS3 set ups also advertising Blu-Ray and 0-1 HD DVD set ups. I cant help but think that this has a subtle and also perhaps a profound affect on the average person walking through the store. My question to you all is do you think that this could affect the format war in any way? Both of these stores do have equal shelf space to both HDDVD and BD so I dont think its a personal preference on their behave more just BD advertising dollars.

Disclaimer : I am pro BD trying to be impartial and just vocalizing what I saw today and every time I go into a store.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The merchandising arm of BD is so much greater than HD that I for one question what goes on behind the scenes. Toshiba just dropped the MSRP of a solid HD player (A2) to 299 with 5 free HD-DVDs. Yet somehow Bestbuy, et al still almost ignore it as an option. Certainly one of the reasons BD is favored to win the war: the backing of major companies, both studio and sales distribution channels. Still this new pricing has to be very scary to BD. At $15 a piece for the DVDs the HD-A2, a solid upconverting player, is basically less expensive than the Oppo, a SD competitor. If BD can get their pricing to compete atleast a little with this they should come out ahead, if not it could be a longer battle.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
For women and those men who don't know what they're looking for, I suppose it could matter.

Me, I always thought of myself as a rather typical male who knows what he wants before he goes to the store. Where advertising can (rarely) have an effect is if there's a comparable model for cheaper.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie /forum/post/0

As long as there are impulse buyers, in store advertising and marketing will matter. :)

Do impulse buyers drop $700 on Next-Gen DVD players or $300 with free movies.

I'm no impulse buyer myself but I would go with #2.

Blu-Ray needs to step up with the price drops (or free stuff ala Pannys new beast) so the average Joe WILL impulse buy.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
First, the end caps are bought by the manufacturers -- simply put, Sony is paying for them and Tosh is not, hence the discrepancies in the stores with visibility. Does this matter? Tosh obviously doesn't think so. IMO, when one costs $300 and the other 2-3 times that, which is on the end cap does not matter in the least (sales of stand alone HD-DVD players are much higher than for stand alone BD players).

·
Registered
4,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 /forum/post/0

Do impulse buyers drop $700 on Next-Gen DVD players or $300 with free movies.

I'm no impulse buyer myself but I would go with #2.

Blu-Ray needs to step up with the price drops (or free stuff ala Pannys new beast) so the average Joe WILL impulse buy.

Average Joe can impluse buy a car given the right day.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
The endcaps made no difference for me. I owned both hd & bd players, but the bd player was returned for a refund due to the unacceptable price premium.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Until B&M stores start doing something about the software pricing, the encaps and displays are just going to make people aware of the new tech. I doubt most people who stroll into BB or CC will want to buy into a player with $30-$40 software titles that are $5-$15 on DVD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts