AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had gotten a price of $700 Does that sound about right to you? is it worth spending that much, is the Picture going to be that much better? Am I going to have to get it done every couple of Years? thanks

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Although rates vary between people and some add travel costs on top ... and others don't ... expect a base cost in the range of $300 to $350 per TV.

However!!!! ... Most calibrators will offer a sizable discount for the second TV and additional TVs in the same household.

It could be $350 +$225 +225 ... like that ... or $350+125 ... whatever.

Usually not that big of a deal to ask for a discount on additional TVs in the house. So ask for it.

Calibration ... like tune ups on cars ... does not last forever. A retweak might be in order every 18 to 24 months as you change out stuff like DVD players and stuff ages. Things will drift ... change.

Retweak charges are usually much less than the initial calibration fee. I know I charge the local people in the range of $100 to $150.

Regards

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the settings set to a set scale or is it the techs choice as to where he sets it one tech may like a red picture and hte other may like a blue picture, Know what I mean? thanks

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

There is a standard ... like one hour = 60 minutes is a standard.

If the people are THX or ISF, they will be adjusting the TV to that standard ... or they'd better be ...

There is no set amount that people charge ... there is a range and most fall into that range. The market will ultimately determine what the price point is.

Charging $300 may be a big deal in one part of the country, and too little in another part of the country.

Regards

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
You should insist on printed or electronic format reports of the before and after state of how your displays measure. The reports are numeric and graphical representations of how close to standard performance parameters and targets the analysis finds. Initial and final menu settings values may also be included in the service reports. All this can be discussed with the technician prior to making the service appointment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts