AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself with many meters of extra cable in my distribution closet, the result of me being conservative with my cable lengths while redoing my house's low-voltage wiring.

My inclination is to cut the cables down so they're just a few feet longer than they need to be to reach the back of my patch panel when it's pulled out all the way. But I figured I'd check here first and see what the collective wisdom on the subject is. Should I just deal with the extra cable lengths on the off chance I might need them some day, or is it better to keep the closet's wiring clean and simple? Obviously there's a point beyond which it's absurd to have more wire available, but I'm not sure where that point is.

The cables in question, I should add, terminate in wall jacks around my house. I was careful to leave enough spare cable in the walls near the jacks to let me snip off the ends and reterminate them a bunch of times if need be. I.e., it's very unlikely I'll run out of cable on the opposite end and be required to pull some of the excess through from the closet, which seems like it'd be the most obvious reason to keep the closet cables really long.

What do the rest of your closets look like?

·
Super Moderator
21,600 Posts
I went through exactly the same thing- miles of extra cabling when I finished the new house

after awhile when all component locations are known, I cut back all the cabling leaving a reasonable service loop- this involved relabeling many cables, and using some quickport surface mount wallplates (I used 6 port boxes)

The end result is a much neater, more professional looking installation- it is a lot of work but well worth it

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.