AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm placing the following set-up on a stand at the front of my room with my flatscreen:

Onkyo TX-NR809

PS3

UPS

DTV DVR

DVD changer

HD-DVD player
Here are the cables I need:

Cat6 for AVR network

RJ6 for Sat box

6 pairs of speaker wire 4 for surround and 2 for possible powered zone 2

4 RJ6 with RCA ends to closet that will house amps for house speakers

I was going to add the following but I don't know what is enough?

1 Cat6, don't need to go crazy as so much new stuff is wireless

2 RJ6 figure they could be used for any number of things

Am I missing anything? Thanks

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
More cat6 - that's your go-to cable for "future proofing" short of a flex conduit. A total of 2 RG6 minimum (if you're running more for long audio runs, that's fine, too), and I'd say a minimum of 4 Cat6 cables - assuming you're running them somewhere else that would be useful - meaning - going to the house's central wiring hub wherever that is.

And while many network device are WiFi, wired Ethernet is faster, easier to use and more reliable, but more importantly, Cat6 cables are the swiss army knife of cable. Worst case - you can use one as a pull string to get the 'right' cable down the wall...

Oh, that reminds me - add a pull string so you can easily pull wire in the future.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I agree with Jeff - more cat6.

If you ever want to share an AV source, from or to the room, you'd send it over 1 or a pair of cat6 cables (HDMI over 2cat6 is cheaper than 1), i lieu of HDMI. I'd put in 4 cat6.

You may want to wire for subwoofers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.