AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my radeon 9000 I've been using the 2nd "notch of gamma boost. This corresponds to 171 in TT or 1.2 in the ATI panel. Even so, I still find the overall image a bit dark. Brightness is calibrated with Avia for 1 visible bar and contrast is just high enough that a 100 IRE pattern looks like "white".

I just find the overall balance a tad on the dark side unless the scene is fairly bright.

TT is set to 0.9 brightness, 105 contrast, which are the scoped values from Cliff Watson. Not using ffdshow or any other filters that would affect gamma.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you are using the black bar patter in AVIA, I believe you are suppose to see both bars. The darker bar is recorded just above black.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Gamma set to zero here, no problems with shadow detail.

Video system calibrated with Avia / nokia monitor test / phillips pattern generator. Ati9500 based HTPC source.

- Rick

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both? I thought the point of the 2 bars was for 1 to be not visible when set properly. How would you set it for both to be visible but not too high?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I find some sources to be very dark while others quite bright. I generally keep mine at 1.2, but sometimes 1.45 is just needed to bring out the shadows. I run powerdvd, so it uses its own overlay. On a movie like Rush Hour 2, I had it cranked almost all the way up(it uses a proprietary number system it was on +30/+-45), and there was still a lot of black, on Donie Darco, the same setting produced a gray box(had to lower to -5/+-45). It seems like they would normalize the brightness levels in movies or something, but apparently they don't. I guess I need to mod my video card to give the voltage my marquee wants.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Jesse, yes I'll bet your picture is a bit dark looking. I don't think the default settings in TT are correct, at least they don't look correct on my system.

I have TT gamma set at 176 (same as you're 171) with the brightness at 28.5 and the contrast at default.

The pj is then calibrated using all three AVIA black bar patterns...the "Black bars" pattern, with both bars showing...then "Black bars & half gray" here I can see the 7ire bar well, the other bar is notice as "some sort of movement going on right there" (my wife's comment) ...then with the "Black bars & half white" only the 7ire bar is seen, you will see nothing of the second bar.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
28.5!?

Brightness "9" is what I should have said. Default is "10", which should correspond to 1.0 or default in the ATI panel. Cliff scoped the 2.3 radeon drivers and that's the value he posted for proper voltage.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.