AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm speccing a machine for use as a HTPC (actually a replacement, I have one now). I plan to buy a 1080P TV, one of: the upcoming Sony, JVC, or a 1080p DLP.

I want to be able to do full upconversion to 1080p using ffdshow, noise removal, deinterlacing, etc...

How much CPU do I need for this? I tend to go overkill so I was thinking of one of the new X2 3800+'s. I assume that would be adequate, in combination with a 7800 series NVidia or x520 ATI card when they're out? Would it be complete overkill?

I would prefer to use something like a 1.7 Pentium-M but I'm not sure it can handle ffdshow at that resolution?

·
Registered
360 Posts
ASAIK, as far as your PC is concerned, convertin to 1080i and 1080p is the same thing, and I am converting to 1080i w/ sharpening and noise removal on a 2.4ghz P4 (overlay). Video card is 6600gt, but I used to do it on a Ti4200.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want to use ffdshow then it bypasses alot of the hardware features on the videocard. which would make the video card not as important as the cpu. If that is the correct, which i'm not sure... then you could save money on the videocard and spend more on cpu, harddrive etc... However the 7800 or the newer ati whenever it comes out is suppose to be able to playback 1080 with all the bells and whistles. But if you use those features then i'm not sure if you can use ffdshow. As for the Pentium M those are really great cpus. All of the current amd 64 cpus are very good also. I think ffdshow may benefit more from a single core cpu with faster clock speeds than a dual core cpu with slightly slower speeds. This is all just my crazy idea though. I have no proof or experiance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.