AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my riser on the second floor and am ready to close it up. The front of the riser is 14" tall x 6' deep x 16' wide and the back row is 28" tall x 6' deep x 16' wide. So it's got a lot of volume but the whole thing is built with 2" x 6" studs on 12" centers so it's very solid. Can't do sand because I would crush the cars in the garage. Insulation would still cost quite a bit to fill this riser.

So I am wondering how much insulation needs to be in the riser to be effective. By effective I mean cut down on bass resonance within the riser and maybe keep the riser from sounding hollow while walking on it or whatever else. Can I just put in a layer of something like 9.5" R30 in the bottom? Or maybe I can blow it full of insulation. Problem with blowing insulation is that all 3 blowers at Home Depot have burned out motors so no blower for a while unless Lowe's has a working one. Plus blown insulation tends to settle some after a while. How about just lining the whole inside with insulation batts?

Here's a picture of the risers with only a couple of the joists across the top of the riser. There will be a joist every 12" across the top. I took the whole thing out and lined the floor under the risers with 30 lb. roofing felt.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You didn't what you are covering the riser with? What thickness and layers of wood, etc.

You really need to pack as much density into the area as possible, within budget and weight constraints. I would try to pack the insulation at least twice the normal amount. i.e. put 2 x r13 into a 4" space, etc. Mind you that will cost quite a bit :( Do not leave any open spaces if you can avoid it.

At least you built it with 12" centers that will help.

Any one else have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sides are 1/2" plywood and the top is 2 layers of 1/2" plywood with felt sandwiched inbetween. Everything is glued and screwed. The whole thing will be carpeted with a thick berber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.