Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

since you guys are the experts I want to ask you a question. I bought three Barco 808s at the Kentucky Auction. They are brand new in a box. I have no idea how much I can sell them for again. I want to sell two and keep the third one for myself.

What is the going rate for a new Barco Graphics 808s? Can you still get them? Obviously I want to make a profit but on the other hand I want to be reasonable too.

Since this is just a request for an information I put the thread in this section and not the buy and sell, hope this is ok.

Thank you for your help.

ebrains

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Oh, so you are the lucky guy to wind up with three of those.

I'll take one, and pay for the shipping. Oh, you wanted money for the projector too??? Never mind... :D

Used, but in fully opertional condition and perfect (new) tubes they run close to $4000. Retail new, the projectors were over $20k I think. Given they don't have LC lenses, nobody will pay that high for them today when a G90 can be had for well below that price. Electrohome Marquee 9500LC machines (which also have LC lenses) can be had in the $9-15k range, used, in very good condition. These are better machines than the BG808s, so given the choice (and the cash), almost everyone would opt for the 9500LC.

If you want to sell them through AVS Forum, I'd definately suggest you post them individually over in the classifieds area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
ebrains,

Congratulations on your purchase. Pricing them is going to be tricky business. First, you are assuming that you got them for less than "market price" which may or may not be accurate. Those auctions were pretty seriously "advertised" on AVSForum so many people were aware of the auction. Now assuming that people were turned off by the terms of the auction (including me) you might have gotten them below market value. Assuming that, what to price them for? Well I am certainly no expert in projector prices, but I have spent the last nine months looking for and acquiring a Barco projector. Here for what it is worth, is what I have observed. 8" EM machines such as your 808 appear in general to be falling in price. Used Barco 808s and 1208s that are NOT from the professional resellers are NOT selling when advertised in 1000-1300 range on Ebay.

A nearly new Bacro 1209 (372 hours) sold recently on Ebay for $7000. Since that is a 9" LC unit it would go for a premium to your projectors in my opinion. So your projectors are most likely worth less than that how much I don't know.

On other problem you may face, the prices that spearce is reporting appear to be what professional resellers get for their projectors. Many people are willing to pay those prices because the resellers fix them up and back them when they break. Professional resellers have my undying respect in supporting CRTs like that. God knows that CRTs don't ship well at times and can be very cranky at other times. Yes, your projectors are "new" but they are still 6-8 years old at this point. Sitting idle can also take its toll on electronics, so part of the pricing equation will center around what kind of support or warranty you are willing to give if any.

The quick and dirty way to determine what they are worth is to advertise them or put them up on Ebay. Just make sure when you do that you keep your eyes open for Ebay scam artists copying your listing (read recent posts here). Good luck!

Oh one other thing the Barco 808 is no longer made but the Cine8 would be a closest model currently made by Barco. But the used projector market and the new projector market are entirely different beasts and prices in one do not correspond to the other. Even though your Barcos are new they are part of the "used" projector market.

secstate

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yea, sorry, those are professional resellers, e.g. Curt. Folks with good reputations selling used CRTs and who back their sales with excellent service and support post-sale. Especially if something goes wrong during shipping.

As an owner of a BD808, I'm sadden to see the prices of these units drop so much on Ebay. I'm sure Curt is too, as he sells a lot of 800 and 808 units. Last year I thought I'd be able to get the same price for the machine as I paid for it, now that doesn't look to be the case.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here is the short answer:

You can get $3-$3.5k for them IF you are a professional and are willing to back them in parts and service for life.

If it's a private sale, great BG808s coming on the market or out of theaters go for somewhere between $1-$2.5k. It depends on how patient you are and how well you market them.

For higher resale value, your best bet is Videogon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone,

I want to thank you for the detailed answers. I will keep one 808 for myself and offer the other ones in the classified section.

Since I paid $3.500 for them plus 16% feesit comes out to $4.000.

If you are right Jerry, I made a bad deal, if they really go for $3.000-3.500 new.

I will try to get more and wait until someone comes to buy, fortunately I am not in a hurry and I love the 808 too much to let it go cheap.

Thank you,

ebrains

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Come on, new in box BG808s for 3500 is cheap, and should go for more. There a big differnce in quality on the performance from a newer unsed unit to one that has been abused even just a few hundred hours. A set of new crts alone is 3500 dollars. I have directly compared new 808s projectors with used ones, and there is no contest. A new 808s is a magnificent performer with excellent grey-scale tracking which you never will get from a used one.

I would certainly buy them if I got them to that price here in Norway.

Per Johnny

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You should get a lot more than $3500 if it's brand new and boxed. That makes a huge difference. CRTcinema is selling one for $5600, and it has over 2000 hours on it. You obviously don't have the selling power they do, but still, find someone with a high and positive ebay seller rating and I think you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Lifter,

Keep in mind that CRT Cinema and other resellers like Curt back their units with warranties and will make good if they get damaged in shipping. And they charge a premium for that service, it is sort of like insurance in a way Since a Barco 1209 sold for $7000 with 372 hours on Ebay in the last month or so from a non-professional reseller and this gentleman appears to be a non-professional reseller, I think that these Barcos would go for less than that. Also the folks who are really willing to pay a premium for projectors these days appear to be looking mostly at 9" LC units. However, I suspect if one is patient they can find a buyer who is willing to pay a premium for "new" units. Also those projector were heavily "advertised" on AVSFroum which probably has the highest concentration for CRT aficionados in the world. So I wonder if they really went for a whole lot less than market value. Counting in the 16% buyers premium and, possibly 6% tax you are looking at close to $4000 before shipping......

Miles

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Why on earth would you bother with this question AFTER you bought them ? You have an amount you MUST sell them for to cover your expenses, any more is just profit. IF you are not in it for the profit, sell them at an amount to make your purchase free, and let two more home theater enthusiasts benefit as well. IF you are just asking this to see how much profit you can pull out of people, why bother ? Call up Barco for a quote and price yours at the smallest amount of discount you think you can get away with and still actually sell them.

Price depends on MANY things, one of which is the ACTUAL motive of the seller. If you have an amount that you MUST get for them, that will dictate your asking price, more than that, is just profit, which can be determined by a sellers degree of greed.

There was alot of talk in this thread of a Barco 1209s which sold for $7,000., I believe there was also one which sold for $13,000. through the videogon listings, so there is a wide variation in the amount of "profit" people deem appropriate.

Investment dictates price, beyond that it is a thorny struggle between what is an ethically justifyable price, and what the market will bear, IMHO.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
ebrains,

How much you paid has nothing to do with their value. Whether you paid way too much or got them for free, they're worth what they're worth.

I see no reason you can't ask top dollar for them. Sure you can't support them like the big resellers can, but hell, they're new! How much support do they need?

There's nothing wrong with you trying to make a profit. If they were in your shoes, 99% of the people on this board would be doing the same thing.

I don't know what they're worth, but my guess is you did pretty good. From what I've seen, brand new old stock seems to sell for considerably more than even very low hour machines.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Phil,

I agree with most of your comments but

"Sure you can't support them like the big resellers can, but hell, they're new! How much support do they need?"

To which I respond, they are Barcos and as I an owner of a relatively low hour one I can tell you they need more support than you might imagine ;-) . Still I love my Barco.....

Miles

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
sestate,

I specificly said "you obviously don't have the selling power they do".

The fact that they are brand new units makes a big difference. A HUGE difference, especially if it's from a non-pro. You don't have to worry about what shape it's in, what kind of abuse it's had, and what kind of service it's had.

If my option was to either buy a used projector from a pro, or a brand new one from whomever, and the price is the same, I would take the brand new one in a heartbeat. I can't imagine why anyone would think differently. Obviously, when it comes to used units, your better off buying from a pro, but if it's new, who cares? I think people are getting a little emotional over this.

·
Registered
549 Posts
ebrains

I hate to ask the obvious, but have you actually taken delivery of the PJs and ascertained for certain that they are as described?

Mark

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Lifter,

I agree with you on most parts. I to would buy a "new" Barco from any seller over a used one from a professional reseller as long as I could go look at it locally and pick it up. If he can sell them locally I have no doubt he can get a premium (as the shipping damage is a non issue and the true condition of the machines can be ascertained). Also these, even if they have never been used (outside of the 100 hours or so Barco puts on them at the factory), are more accurately described as new old stock NOT new. Electronics do age (I restore plenty of 30-70 year old electronics as a hobby and storage is not always kind to components (capacitors in particular). In addition, others who have far more expertise in Barcos than I report that the HV components in Barcos (prior to 1998 I think) tend to have a higher failure rate after periods of prolonged storage. Also as Mark points out this discussion is really immaterial until the operational condition of the units is determined.

secstate

·
Registered
401 Posts
My opinion, basically, is that even if something was sitting in its shipping crate since it was made, if it was manufactured 5 or 6 years ago, it's simply not new.

Components age even when they are not being used. Entropy rules.

Good point, secstate and I agree.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
My only experience with caps is in regard to guitar amps. If it hasn't already been done, 50's and 60's amps (paper caps) almost always need to be re-capped. I almost never have cap trouble with later vintage amps. Coupled with the fact that an amp tech friend of mine says modern caps are good for many, many years, I don't understand why caps seem to be such a common problem with projectors. I CERTAINLY don't understand why one would expect such a short shelf life from unused caps.

I'm not a tech, this is an observation based on what I've read and been told.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi everyone,

Mark - you asked me if I had the projectors shipped already and had them checked. I have to answer you that I did not. They will be shipped shortly and that is the risk that I took when I bought them. I just could not let them go that easy since like the 808 too much and now I will get a new one for myself :D If it really counts as new or not I don't want to answer, but they have never been used and probably won't be too rusty, we are not talking about a car here...

Thanks,

ebrains

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Phil,

My experience is in old radios, is similiar to your guitar amps. I have had problems with caps in radios certainly to some degree until the 70s (about where I end working on them). I am no tech, I have been told that at least in some electrolyic caps the dielectric insulation breaks down when not used. However this may only apply to older electrolyics. You are right the older paper bypass (non-electrolyic) caps from prior to 1960 or so are almost always bad.... I have rebuilt more of those, melting the wax and hiding modern replacements in than I care to count. I think another reason that caps get a bad rap is that some of the newer caps were supposedly manufactured using a faulty formula ( http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY...eb03/ncap.html ). Though I doubt you would find any of these in a projector. I have to admit the only problem I have had with my Barco has been a resistor that had gone completely open.

Miles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.