AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a new house and wiring for in ceiling speakers in most of the rooms and a few out at the patio/pool. My question is how many watts do I really need for the indoor ceiling speakers? It will be a little more than just background as I do like to turn it up from time to time, but none of the rooms are primarily listening rooms. I read that as low as 10-20 watts per channel are enough but that just seems low. I would like (I think) at least 50 watts per channel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to use 5 existing Sonos zoneplayers which are 50 watts per channel each. I then plan to extend the zones using the amps. Denon has just come out with one that has 12 channels (6 stereo zones) that I like what I read about it, but it is only 30 watts per channel and my concern is if this will be enough in the rooms. I have volume controls for each speaker being installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
Using a 70volt system will not allow you any flexability and the wiring topography is completely different than what would normally be used in a residential application. 70volt systems are generally used in commercial applications.

Why don't you just expand your Sonos system using more of their amps? 50wpc should be more than enough. If you are prewiring, you can set them up so that the Sonos Zone Amps are wired to an out-of-the-way place, such as a shelf in a closet in each room. Just wire your speakers from the Amp to the speaker locations and then make sure your electrician puts a receptacle where you want to hide your Amplifier so it looks super-clean.

Greg

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift /forum/post/14223001

Using a 70volt system will not allow you any flexability and the wiring topography is completely different than what would normally be used in a residential application. 70volt systems are generally used in commercial applications.

Why don't you just expand your Sonos system using more of their amps? 50wpc should be more than enough. If you are prewiring, you can set them up so that the Sonos Zone Amps are wired to an out-of-the-way place, such as a shelf in a closet in each room. Just wire your speakers from the Amp to the speaker locations and then make sure your electrician puts a receptacle where you want to hide your Amplifier so it looks super-clean.

Greg

Sorry but you are wrong. a 70 volt system would do what he wanted without loading his amps. It can be very flexible. The wiring is not any differnt other than it allows you to connect many speakers without loading the amp. If he has multi rooms and wants different program in each one then a 70 volt will do it just fine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree that a 70volt system could be made to work. But, they are geared towards commercial applications. Just like in a commercial application we could install a residential style 8ohm system and make it work. But why try to reinvent the wheel?

The 70volt gear is also more ruggedized and not as sleek looking with all the knobs, sliders, etc. type of controls, which won't look as nice in an equipment shelf along side a receiver, DVD player, Satellite receiver and whatever else someone has for gear. Plus, since that TOA amp/mixer, much like any other comparable 70volt unit like those from Bogen, Crown, Nady, Atlas Sound, etc, only has 1 speaker output terminal for mono sound with no way to remotely control what input to use, how would someone manipulate source selection switching from around the house?

I'm just going off my experience with every commercial sound system I've serviced, (restaurants, convenience stores, churches, bars, clubs, etc) in comparison to every residential system I've serviced.

But, none of this matters if he's building off his existing Sonos system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts