AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a sealed subwoofer + purchasing the EQ. (ED A7S-450)

Am I able to tune with just this or do I need to go purchase the SPL meter route, etc? How is everyone posting graphs? With a digital SPL meter? Just trying to figure out how much in all its going to cost me to buy the sealed sub, eq, and get the most out of it. Thanks!

-Dave

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave /forum/post/18297010

I'm looking at a sealed subwoofer + purchasing the EQ. (ED A7S-450)

Am I able to tune with just this or do I need to go purchase the SPL meter route, etc? How is everyone posting graphs? With a digital SPL meter? Just trying to figure out how much in all its going to cost me to buy the sealed sub, eq, and get the most out of it. Thanks!

-Dave

Basically, you need some sort of EQ and you also need some sort of measurement system in order to set the EQ. Now, that can range from an AVR with built-in EQ (like Audyssey or ARC or MCACC or....) to an automatic sub EQ (like the AntiMode 8033) to a sub EQ with a measurement/display system (like the Velodyne SMS-1), all the way to a separate EQ and a measurement system.

What do you have to work with? Mac? PC? Sound card? Sound level meter? Wallet?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18297153

Basically, you need some sort of EQ and you also need some sort of measurement system in order to set the EQ. Now, that can range from an AVR with built-in EQ (like Audyssey or ARC or MCACC or....) to an automatic sub EQ (like the AntiMode 8033) to a sub EQ with a measurement/display system (like the Velodyne SMS-1), all the way to a separate EQ and a measurement system.

What do you have to work with? Mac? PC? Sound card? Sound level meter? Wallet?

I have a Pioneer 21 elite, so that has MCACC....currently running all speakers from an onkyo HTIB including the 10" subwoofer. (hence looking to upgrade to the A7S-450)

I have a dell laptop.

I remember reading from someone @ ED that I shouldn't run MCACC with their subs as they don't level them very well and could cause driver damage. Plus I see everyone EQ'ing theirs "manually" anyway given said tools.

Thats it.

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave /forum/post/18297183

I have a Pioneer 21 elite, so that has MCACC....currently running all speakers from an onkyo HTIB including the 10" subwoofer. (hence looking to upgrade to the A7S-450)

I have a dell laptop.

The Pioneer 21 elite is supposed to have Advanced MCACC and, with your PC, you should be good to go. I don't think you need to consider buying a separate EQ system at this time

Quote:
I remember reading from someone @ ED that I shouldn't run MCACC with their subs as they don't level them very well and could cause driver damage.

Really? Don't you think that Pioneer would be getting sued for this? Unless there is something wrong with the design of the sub, this should not happen.

Quote:
Plus I see everyone EQ'ing theirs "manually" anyway given said tools.

If you will pardon the smirk, until you get real, non-HTIB speakers set up properly, don't throw more money at this system. EQ-ing the sub is not of pressing importance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18297280

The Pioneer 21 elite is supposed to have Advanced MCACC and, with your PC, you should be good to go. I don't think you need to consider buying a separate EQ system at this time

Really? Don't you think that Pioneer would be getting sued for this? Unless there is something wrong with the design of the sub, this should not happen.

If you will pardon the smirk, until you get real, non-HTIB speakers set up properly, don't throw more money at this system. EQ-ing the sub is not of pressing importance.

Just FYI the separate EQ was referring to is their eQ2: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=657

I am asking about EQ'ing the sub because like many buyers, I was torn between the A5-350 and the A7S-450. The 450 seems to have the potential for more output, but only if properly eq'ed.

My HTIB speakers from my Onkyo system sound fine to me, for now.
It's my poor ~100-150rms 10" sub that sounds awful during movies.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Pioneer vsx-21TXH will EQ down to 63hz no lower.

You'll have to find another way to EQ the sub lower than 63HZ. It's in the manual page 83.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I used a free Excel spreadsheet, free test tones and a $40 Radio Shack SPL meter to measure the in-room response of my sub. I used a $100 Behringer Feedback Destroyer to EQ my sub flat to 17hz. There are other ways but I already had the SPL meter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an Antimode 8033 and it works very well in my setup.

Pioneer SC-07, Paridigms and Servo 15.

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave /forum/post/18297406

Just FYI the separate EQ was referring to is their eQ2: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=657

I am asking about EQ'ing the sub because like many buyers, I was torn between the A5-350 and the A7S-450. The 450 seems to have the potential for more output, but only if properly eq'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX /forum/post/18297408

The Pioneer vsx-21TXH will EQ down to 63hz no lower.

You'll have to find another way to EQ the sub lower than 63HZ. It's in the manual page 83.

OK. In my quick scan of the manual, I missed that although that is what I was looking for.

The problem with the ED EQ2 is that you still need instruments to set it up. The Beringer is a possibility but I have no experience with it. The AntiMode 8033 is very effective and requires no additional devices/software.

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave /forum/post/18297406

None(!) of your speakers is of the quality of your AVR.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The cheapest equalization you'll find is the Behringer Feedback Destroyer ($85 shipped)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Channel.html

You'll also need an SPL meter, the least expensive being the Radio Shack meter suggested earlier. You can also try eBay; I scored one there for $15.

Keep in mind that measuring and especially choosing the right filters manually could be a very time-consuming task. Luckily there's free software that can help you with that.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

If you end up going down this path, you'll be investing close to $1,000. IMHO, there are much better ways to improve your setup. If I were you, I would consider a lesser subwoofer, replace the front 3 speakers, and keep your current surrounds. For example, if you like eD, you could go for a 3.1 package with 3 A6 - 6T6 - MTMs and the A3-300, for $986 with the 15% package discount. This combination will give a much better bang for the buck.

Talk to eD; they might have a in-home trial so you can compare both options yourself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gye /forum/post/18299301

The cheapest equalization you'll find is the Behringer Feedback Destroyer ($85 shipped)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Channel.html

You'll also need an SPL meter, the least expensive being the Radio Shack meter suggested earlier. You can also try eBay; I scored one there for $15.

Keep in mind that measuring and especially choosing the right filters manually could be a very time-consuming task. Luckily there's free software that can help you with that.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

If you end up going down this path, you'll be investing close to $1,000. IMHO, there are much better ways to improve your setup. If I were you, I would consider a lesser subwoofer, replace the front 3 speakers, and keep your current surrounds. For example, if you like eD, you could go for a 3.1 package with 3 A6 - 6T6 - MTMs and the A3-300, for $986 with the 15% package discount. This combination will give a much better bang for the buck.

Talk to eD; they might have a in-home trial so you can compare both options yourself.

The front speakers are on the agenda, no worries! Not everything can be done at once.
It takes time and money to build a system. I am simply replacing the next weakest link in my system, the subwoofer.

I just replaced the AV receiver ~6 weeks ago. My HDMI's on my Onkyo were toast from a lightning strike so it was the first to go.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownut /forum/post/18298987

I have an Antimode 8033 and it works very well in my setup.

The simplicity of those is very enticing. I've been very close to buying one for a while now.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave /forum/post/18299377

The front speakers are on the agenda, no worries! Not everything can be done at once.
It takes time and money to build a system. I am simply replacing the next weakest link in my system, the subwoofer.

I just replaced the AV receiver ~6 weeks ago. My HDMI's on my Onkyo were toast from a lightning strike so it was the first to go.

In that case, nice plan!
This will save you from buying multiple iterations of products you're not fully happy with, which reminds me I have a couple of speakers to put in eBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts