AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have 2 or more UTV's on their DirecTV account?

How do they charge for more than 1 receiver; both DirecTV and UTV fees?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not to sure how relevant that is just now, policies have a way of changing, maybe UTV won't even charge anything in six months who knows?

As for the short term seems like most of the UTV purchases have been by current or previous TiVo, Replay owners. So if they are willing to pay $10 a month for TiVo and UTV then I wouldn't be to concerned.

Perhaps many of the first time buyers of UTV would consider a TiVo as their second receiver to pick up some of the odds and ends that the UTV could possibly miss. In that case they still would have to pay $10 + $10 a month! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

Gremlin...

UTV --- "The Ultimate DVR"

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
<SNIP>

So if they are willing to pay $10 a month for TiVo and UTV then I wouldn't be to concerned.

Perhaps many of the first time buyers of UTV would consider a TiVo as their second receiver to pick up some of the odds and ends that the UTV could possibly miss. In that case they still would have to pay $10 + $10 a month! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif
I don't pay $10 a month for the Tivo service. You can choose to pay per year ($100) or for the lifetime of the box ($200).

BrettStah

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonl99:
I just got off the phone with UltimateTV, and they were quite clear that there is a $9.95 charge per receiver. He even went so far as to say that DirecTV's mirroring fee does not cover UltimateTV receivers.

Right after DirecTiVo came out, there was a great deal of confusion, and more often than not, people would be told that there was a per-receiver charge. But these were people calling DirecTV. I called directly to UltimateTV, and the guy I spoke with did not hesitate with his answer.

Can you supply there phone number? I have some issues I'd like to address.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jason199 posted in his thread on the DirecTIVO Forum that he called UTV again, spoke to an Entertainment Consultant (talk about specialty occupations!) and was told just the opposite--that the $10. mo. service fee would cover multiple receivers.

The fee for multiple receivers needs to be verified by someone who has more than one receiver, and has gotten a bill for it.

If someone was planning an ambitious installation this is a factor to consider. With DirecTIVO, one could pay a single $200. one time fee (or $10. per mo.), and have as many receivers as they wished, and only have to pay the standard $5. per mo. extra receiver fees to DirecTV for each receiver after the first one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, for the record, I called DirecTV the second time. DirecTV said there wasn't a mirroring charge, but the person barely could speak English.

UltimateTV told me there was a $10 charge per receiver.

In any case, I don't think anyone knows.

------------------

Be sure to see the Season Pass Popularity Profiler

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To show how confusing this issue is, here is what I was just told by an Ultimate TV customer service rep. @ 1-877-ULTIMATE:

She said that there is a $10. monthly fee for the first receiver, and that there would be an additional $5. monthly fee for each additional receiver, in addition to the DirecTV $5. mo. fee for additional receivers after the first one.

I specifically asked if the UTV $5. fee was the same as the DirecTV $5. fee and was told definitely not. I asked if there was a written source that I could quote for this information, and was told that the only source the rep. knew was on the website.

So now we have three different stories. And we really don't know, until someone gets billed, and tells us.

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got off the phone with UltimateTV, and they were quite clear that there is a $9.95 charge per receiver. He even went so far as to say that DirecTV's mirroring fee does not cover UltimateTV receivers.

Right after DirecTiVo came out, there was a great deal of confusion, and more often than not, people would be told that there was a per-receiver charge. But these were people calling DirecTV. I called directly to UltimateTV, and the guy I spoke with did not hesitate with his answer.

------------------

Be sure to see the Season Pass Popularity Profiler

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone ever get a definite answer on this... the kids want a utv for their TV and I was wondering what I am going to get nailed for?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
675 Posts
In my opinion get a d'tivo as second or first unit unless you are getting it to the MSNTV for the kids. When I got mine I sing up for the webtv unlimit access at $20 and month extra. Because I can't read the text on the tv I called to cancel but told I can't cancel untill Sept 17. End of billing cycle. I don't understand why they couldn't just cancel and on the 17 just drop me, why must I call bck in on the 17th. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Paulus

a TV nut that's hard to crack.

ISPChoce the smiles= http://www.isp-choice.com/smilies/smilies.htm

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I sent an E-Mail to UTV on this subject. It will be interesting to see what comes back, as there seem to have been three different UTV verbal responses so far.

Ed

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I received an E-Mail response from UTV today on this issue. Their E-Mail said the addition of a second UTV receiver would only incur the additional $5 DirecTV mirror fee and not a second UTV $10 cost.

Ed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
Not to sure how relevant that is just now, policies have a way of changing, maybe UTV won't even charge anything in six months who knows?

As for the short term seems like most of the UTV purchases have been by current or previous TiVo, Replay owners. So if they are willing to pay $10 a month for TiVo and UTV then I wouldn't be to concerned.

I have 3 DirecTiVo's now running. I paid $200 for lifetime subscription 6 months ago. So if I had Ultimate TV I would be paying $360/year for programming?

I think MS will rethink this policy if it is, in fact, true. That seems pretty uncompetitive, particularly since TiVo is now in general release of the 2.5 software enabling the second tuner.

------------------

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TWPaulus:
In my opinion get a d'tivo as second or first unit unless you are getting it to the MSNTV for the kids. When I got mine I sing up for the webtv unlimit access at $20 and month extra. Because I can't read the text on the tv I called to cancel but told I can't cancel untill Sept 17. End of billing cycle. I don't understand why they couldn't just cancel and on the 17 just drop me, why must I call bck in on the 17th. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The obvious answer is, they easily could. Either whoever you spoke with couldn't be bothered, or worse yet, MS policy is to make it difficult to discontinue their service.

Odd way to earn customer loyalty.

------------------

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My apologies. I know this has probably been asked before but I can't find the thread...

Just exactly what does the $9.95/mo subscription fee buy you?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tubenube:
My apologies. I know this has probably been asked before but I can't find the thread...

Just exactly what does the $9.95/mo subscription fee buy you?

The ability to use all of the features of UTV.

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's obvious and not what I was trying to find out. My fault, I asked the question the wrong way. Allow me to rephrase the question:

Exactly what would you NOT get with a UTV if you didn't subscribe?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tubenube:
That's obvious and not what I was trying to find out. My fault, I asked the question the wrong way. Allow me to rephrase the question:

Exactly what would you NOT get with a UTV if you didn't subscribe?
Sorry about that! I left out the http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I had intended to put in there...

The only thing I've seen anyone mention is that if you let your DirecTV subscription lapse, you're not allowed to even play previously recorded shows.

I don't know if there is anyone who has ever tried what you're asking. I suppose UTVInsider would be able to answer it...

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
204 Posts
I called and was told it is per account not receiver...

my $.02..

joe

·
Registered
71 Posts

Without the UltimateTV service, an UltimateTV receiver is just an expensive version of a basic DirecTV receiver.

You cannot record or playback shows, and there is no internet access. I believe you can pause for a few minutes (10?) but that was on the list to be changed.

UTVinsider

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.