AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one yesterday at Ultimate Electronics in Chandler, AZ. This was far from a perfect setup (it was projected on the wall, for example) but the picture was still very good. Blacks were OK (they were running "The 6th day", lots of dark scenes), though not really black, and it had good contrast and good colors. I didn't see any rainbow effect (watched it for about 10 minutes), but I think I'm not too sensitive to that. One thing was bad about the picture, it had a "see through shadow" effect. Don't know the term for it, but you can see like a ghost-image of sharp lines, just beside the "original" line. It was only visible on bright surfaces. I assume this is something that can be taken care of if it's set up properly.

They didn't have a pricetag on it, and I didn't ask, since I figured they'd charge MSRP anyway (which I believe is $10K). I haven't find any prices for this on the Internet though. Anyone know what it sells for?

/Mike

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum! Don't see too many members from this small town http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I don't know you do I?

Got to go all the way to PHX to see anything decent, eh? I know the feeling. I thought it was going to be tough putting together a nice home theater with only the internet and magazines as a resource. But once I found this forum, I was on my way for sure. I've now gotten farther than I ever thought possible. It's a great place to hang out and stay on the cutting edge.

Sorry I didn't have an answer for you. I assume you did a search on that projector? Good luck.

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

[This message has been edited by Carey P (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
MickeS,

The "see through shadow" effect you mention is called ringing. It is generally the result of trying to apply edge sharpness to a video image. Many DVD's have this as a result of a misguided effort to make the DVD look sharper.

You would need to see some reference DVD's on the machine in order to see if the DVD itself is the source of this problem, but I suspect that it may be.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
The ringing problem is also called ghosting. It can be caused by a couple of things...

Too much enhancement on the DVD itself

Impedance mismatch somewhere in the system

Improper design in the projector. THere are numerous machines out there that if you place a reference test pattern into the projector over a three foot proper cable... you will still have a ringing. it is built into the design of the machine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
looks like the street price on your projector is about 8250.00 on average.

Carter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.