AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all

I am building a file server, using my older PC for it and upgrading it with a RAID 5 controller (on a PCI slot).

The basic PC configuration is:

- Windows XP Pro

- Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, s.478

- Intel D850EMV2 Motherboard

- 1 GB RAM memory (RDRAM)

- 2 IDE HDDs

- 2 SATA HDDs, controlled by a SATA controller on PCI slot

(other than the ones to be used for the RAID 5)

- DVD-ROM, DVD-R, Floppy drives

- ATI 9700 Pro GPU (at AGP slot)

- Sound Card, etc. etc. etc.

The RAID 5 configuration will be built around a HighPoint 1820A RAID controller, and it will be consisted of 8 SATA Seagate HDDs of 320 GB.

4 or 5 or 6 of the HDDs have to be inserted in a separate computer case, which will be working side-by-side with the main computer case. Reason is that the space inside the main case is limited and I need more space to accommodate the discs. These discs will be fed with extension cables, coming out from the main case, at both, the power socket and the SATA socket. The power extension cables are not a problem and they can be made easily. The SATA extension cables will be made from normal SATA cables of 50 or 75 or 100 cm (20, 30 or 40 inches approximately), connected to e-SATA extension cables (with male and female ends) of the same lengths, giving a total length, which may vary between 125 and 200 cm (60 to 80 inches approximately).

My question is if the discs can operate and be seen by the RAID controller and the system, without a problem, at these SATA cable total lengths.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Season's Greetings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts