AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the discussions on this forum deals with how light black levels are on plasmas when people view them in a totally dark room.

I prefer to use some back lighting and a little room lighting which I believe improves absolute black. Its not a cave.

Now this isn't intended for front projection people (remember, this is the plasma forum).

Please tell us how much lighting you have on at night when you view TV.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I once had a LCD tv in our bedroom, and had to have a lot of ambiant lighting to compensate for less-then-adequate black levels. It helped by making the blacks *appear* darker. I since switched to plasma, and find myself using very little lightling when watching TV, because:

1) the plasma's black level is much, much better than the LCD's. In the dark, my LCDs blacks looked light-grey, as opposed to my plasma's blacks which stilll are very adequate in low lighting.

2) the plasma's peak white level is less than the LCD, so I can watch it in the dark (almost), without my eyes burning up.

Low ambiant lighting also allows me to see more shadow details in the picture.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I also usually have two lamps on at night. Looks amazing and no reflections.

I've never tried total darkness but I guess I must give it a try just to see.

·
Registered
732 Posts
All of my lighting is provided by ropelight. I've installed it around the perimeter of the room, just at the baseboard. It has a dimmer attachment to regulate the amount of light given off.

As most of my viewing is done at night, there is enough of this indirect lighting to allow me to see where I'm going, to get another one of those amber coloured, carbonated beverages we're so fond of,,,,,

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/0

I watch my PDP primarily during the evenings and prefer very low/indirect lighting, normally from the recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen, adjacent to the FR.

Tried that last night (since I couldn't reach the backlight behind the TV due to some equipment changes) with very good results.

·
Registered
732 Posts
More than I would like, less than my wife would like.

Most of the time that translates into 7 ceiling cans on in the kitchen adjacent to the family room. About enough light that you could read in the primary viewing postion, but you would have to work at it.

Of course, there are times when more lights are on and/or during the day when reading is no problem. And I've convinced her to watch DVDs with only a ceiling can backlight on.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ceiling light is usually reduced by 50 to 75% for tv and off for movies.

Backlighting is the 2 lights mounted on the fan above the stove in the kitchen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.