AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a 132"W x 99"H (4:3) Stewart GrayHawk screen for my G20. I understand the DILA projectors have some "overspill". How much masking should I add to block this? I was thinking about 18" on top (for positioning), 6" on the sides, and 4" on the bottom. I am also going to use a Panamorph, and am working on dropping a horizontal mask from the top and raising one from the bottom (if raising the screen impairs flatness too much). Any suggestions on where I might purchase motorized masks?

Thanks -- Bobf>

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bob, I have just compleated a G-20 installation with masking. I live an hour-and-a-half South of you. If you would like to see what can be done, send me an e-mail. (132" wide screen)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have 7" left/right/bottom and 12" top masking on my 107x60 GrayHawk and it really improves the viewing experience when you have the halo completely masked. I didn't want the stray light spilling over onto the wall. 7" is more than enough for my screen size, but I wanted to account for the inward curving sides used with the tab-tensioning and have some reserve as well.

------------------

Randy

G20/CI/GrayHawk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like 7" is working for your screen. Can you tell how close the halo is to the edge of your mask? My screen is 25% wider and my mask is an inch smaller, so do you think I will be okay, or do I need to increase the mask a bit? My installation is a bit cramped, so I'm trying to make it as small as possible.s>f>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From randmac via email: I projected a 107†wide image onto the wall, then walked up and measured the halo at about 4â€. Then when I was visiting Stewart’s factory, I asked Don Stewart how much masking I should specify to ensure the minimum masking width was 4†for the curved edge of the tensioned screen. He said 6†should do it. I then add 1†for reserve and to account for overscanning the image a little

Unfortunately, I cannot setup my projector yet, but extrapolating 107" to 132" implies ~5" of halo. Assuming the Stewart screens are always 2" narrower in the center than at the top and bottom, I think 7" of masking will be enough (no reserve for me). Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing you want to be careful about is that on the Stewart drawings the side panel's width is measured at the batten at the bottom of the screen. On a tab tensioned screen there will be significantly less black area on the sides as you move up the height of the screen. To avoid any surprises I would recommend you verifiy with the factory the exact side cut. Stewart's screen calculating software that you or your installer may be using does not give this level of detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.