AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a dell dimension 8300 to be my first attempt at htpc. since memory is way cheaper outside of dell...i decided to get the least available. which was 256mb. isn't much...but i plan to upgrading it to at least 512mb...possibly 1gb. it's ddr pc3200.

of course...i know the more the merrier.

but...what is the minimum and optimal memory i should get for it?

i'm mainly using the htpc to watch dvds initially. eventually...i would like to make and burn dvd movies.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I only have 256 of PC100 and my DVD pans are like silk. I also use win2k on my htpc, if you use XP then 512 is probably wise.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I used 128 meg for a long time in my 98 and ME setups. The only reason I'm using 256 now is because it was cheaper bying the memory with the new motherbord - it only took DDR whereas my earlier ones were SDRAM. I'm using XP now btw.

You'll be fine with 256 unles you want to go for PVR, Hi Def or other memory intensive functions. Until then, 256 will be fine, and you can add another stick if and when the time comes.

Gary

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool. that's good news. i'll stick with 256 for now. maybe if i find good deals on ddr pc3200 ram...i'll get some more.

right now...this pc will be for movie viewing. not many multi-tasking functions.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use 1024 in xp. ou can turn off virtual memory, tweak for large amounts of directory caching (my mp3 directory used to take over minute to display in mmj8. With maxed out cache it's almost instant, keep all applications running and just use girder to decide which one is on top. Makes switching between large applications silky smooth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.