AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Based on comparisons by Craigsub, one PB13 is roughly equivalent to a pair of MFW-15's in output. A PB13 pair therefore should be something like four MFW-15's.

The major difference is that The PB13's in 15hz tune will give you real useable output down to the low teens in frequency.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g /forum/post/16905189

I was thinking of stacking the mfw's and adding the a7-900 I really want a wow factor

Thst should give you all the wow you ever need, but be wary of the notorious power surge that the 1300 watt amps in the A7-900's have shown. If used on the same circuit as your other subs, this could present a problem. You might have to beef up your electrical system to run that combo.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Subjectively I felt it was an upgrade when I went from dual MFW's to a single PB13-Ultra.

Subjectively I felt the sub was clearer, with less overhang and much more power during infrasonic heavy scenes such as the Sonic Cannons in The Incredible Hulk.

Objectively, with the exception of very deep bass if you are just looking for SPL's you are not going to see much of a difference between adding 2 more MFW's (total of 4 MFW's) vs dual PB13's, with the edge for most frequencies going to the MFW's.

Overall I think the Ultra is a better piece of equipment, that sounds better to me and measures better in my room, but if you are just looking for volume that is something different. Of course, I get plenty of "wow's" with just the one Ultra.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have only heard a single MFW, and dual and single Ultras. My subjective opinions pretty much echoes Snowmanick. IMO, the MFW is a good $500 subwoofer, but not in the same league as far as sound quality as the price goes up.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Also, it really depends on size of room and listening levels. If your room is smaller, you could add 20 more subs, and you wouldn't get much of an improvement over what you have now. I am talking about output, not sound quality, as you talk about "wow factor"

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have you thought about Seaton's SubMersive?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Danley TH-221? Sure, it is a bit more, but if you never want to worry about output, extension or who has the biggest/best again...

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have contemplated the same thing more then a few times...I am running 2 HSU 3.3's. Here is my experience...I went from a low budget sub to the 2 3.3's and cost me about $1400 for the improvement...did I notice a HUGE improvement with the 1400 upgrade...YES and worth the upgrade.

Now would I see the "same similar improvement" if I went with another upgrade...say 2 ultras or one submersive. I would think not...Yes I would see and improvement but would it really be a $1400 worth of improvements...NO as compared to the last upgrade.

Now I have a dedicated sealed theater room thats 16x21 and my 3.3's are very tight, clean (low distortion for 12" sub) and very loud. Have yet pushed them to the maximum and do not need too...I run them 4 -5 db's hot and I listen to movies at reference level (LOUD) and they don't seem to strain at all. The only improvement I may see with an upgrade is something that will go lower. But am I now willing to spend an extra 1400 to go lower...NO. There is material (not much) that goes lower but not enough for me to run out and make that $$$ investment.

In a nut shell...when you got something cheap and go with something mid/high range...you will be hit with the WOW factor...I know my jaw dropped. Now if I went with another upgrade, I don't think I will be hit with the same amount of WOW...in fact, many may actually be dissapointed with the investment/sound ratio. The only time you may not be dissapointed with the upgrade is if you have a huge room to fill. Iam sure if I had a huge room and ran 2 3.3's and then switched to a pair of ultras or submersive, I "may" see the same substantial improvement.

I guess the moral of the story...If you are just starting out and really love the low end, I would always get the badest sob sub you can afford. For me it was 2 3.3's and have been very satisfied. I could of went with one ultra at the time but I wanted to spread the low end evenly with 2 rows of seating.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
mrcoop - I agree with your post. I had dual 3.3's with MBM's and the SQ was outstanding but something was missing. My room is over 6000 cu ft with two large openings on the left wall to other parts of the house and the house is 3400 sq ft. If my room was sealed, yes I would have been happy with the HSU's. I went with dual Ed A7S-450's and run the MBM's with each main wired thru them for more mid bass down to 50hz. I am now happy with the outcome in watching movies and somewhat not happy as I do miss the SQ that the HSU 3.3's had and the 450's don't have. Not all is lost as I do get some SQ from the MBM's and they do mix well with the 450's (reciever xover at 80hz). I will down the road add another set of dual 450's to complete my setup.

Bill

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/16926893

mrcoop - I agree with your post. I had dual 3.3's with MBM's and the SQ was outstanding but something was missing. My room is over 6000 cu ft with two large openings on the left wall to other parts of the house and the house is 3400 sq ft. If my room was sealed, yes I would have been happy with the HSU's. I went with dual Ed A7S-450's and run the MBM's with each main wired thru them for more mid bass down to 50hz. I am now happy with the outcome in watching movies and somewhat not happy as I do miss the SQ that the HSU 3.3's had and the 450's don't have. Not all is lost as I do get some SQ from the MBM's and they do mix well with the 450's (reciever xover at 80hz). I will down the road add another set of dual 450's to complete my setup.

Bill

Bill, it just strikes me as asking for an even further upgrade (down the line), to add 2 more A7S-450's given the amount of dissatisfaction with their sound quality.

Seems to me that you would save up for a longer period of time and buy something that has better sound quality.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16930124

Bill, it just strikes me as asking for an even further upgrade (down the line), to add 2 more A7S-450's given the amount of dissatisfaction with their sound quality.

Seems to me that you would save up for a longer period of time and buy something that has better sound quality.

I am not totally disatisfied with the 450 SQ and I would rate it as good but not up to the what the HSU's are. I would say that the 450's and HSU 3.3 are both fine with movie SQ but the HSU SQ is better with music. The 450's DO have more output then the HSU 3.3's and that is why I changed to the 450's. I can live with my current setup just fine as I am more into movies then music anyway.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.