AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Exclusively? The key is to mix up your content. If all you do is watch nothing but content with black bars, and little to no full-screen content, you will get uneven phosphor aging. Most people watch enough full screen content to go along with their letter and pillar bars that it is not a serious concern. Also, most plasmas these days give you the option of light or dark gray bars when watching 4:3 content. Some will not even allow you to have black bars on 480i 4:3 content. If you cannot stand to watch gray bars with 4:3 content, you can upscale the 480i content to 1080i or 1080p from your cable box or your AVR (if it has digital HDMI to HDMI upscaling) to force black bars.

One other innovative thing you could try would be to shift the 2.35:1 film content up or down on the screen.

For example, I have media players that can play back 1080p Blu ray content, off a hard drive. The media player allows me to shift the picture up and down the screen with my remote, so I can actually move the film content in the center of the black bars to the top for example. This way there is no black bar above the film, but there is a double-wide one at the bottom.

Half way through the film, you could shift the picture all the way to the bottom of the screen, and then you would have no black bar at the bottom, but a double wide one at the top. This way you would be exercising the phosphors more evenly, but still would not be zooming or cropping the film--you would still see it in its original aspect ratio--just not evenly centered.

Just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/19554877

Exclusively? The key is to mix up your content. If all you do is watch nothing but content with black bars, and little to no full-screen content, you will get uneven phosphor aging. Most people watch enough full screen content to go along with their letter and pillar bars that it is not a serious concern. Also, most plasmas these days give you the option of light or dark gray bars when watching 4:3 content. Some will not even allow you to have black bars on 480i 4:3 content. If you cannot stand to watch gray bars with 4:3 content, you can upscale the 480i content to 1080i or 1080p from your cable box or your AVR (if it has digital HDMI to HDMI upscaling) to force black bars.

One other innovative thing you could try would be to shift the 2.35:1 film content up or down on the screen.

For example, I have media players that can play back 1080p Blu ray content, off a hard drive. The media player allows me to shift the picture up and down the screen with my remote, so I can actually move the film content in the center of the black bars to the top for example. This way there is no black bar above the film, but there is a double-wide one at the bottom.

Half way through the film, you could shift the picture all the way to the bottom of the screen, and then you would have no black bar at the bottom, but a double wide one at the top. This way you would be exercising the phosphors more evenly, but still would not be zooming or cropping the film--you would still see it in its original aspect ratio--just not evenly centered.

Just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

good advice... any suggestion for me/other consideration, I play a lot for split screen with my wife i.e. xbox 360 - Halo Reach. I don't want have to sacrifice my gaming experience by enlarging the image. I loose/cut a lot of content/detail when I do this.

I've heard there is a ~200 hour break in period is this true? I need to be absolutely sure of this so I don't have to worry about black bar burn after the ~200 hours. Any technical information would be greatly appreciated.

My Hardware: I just purchased a Samsung PN50C550 although this TV is beautiful it may have been the wrong choose for me

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Displaying anything on your TV for 3 hours one time is not going to make any difference at all. If all you do is watch some station with the same logo for three hours every single day, that is another story. There are people that do this with plasmas. They sit and watch the same QVC station or business channel for six hours straight every day, and then they wonder why they end up with uneven phosphor wear months later. Others do nothing but watch films on their plasma--usually with black letter box bars. They are candidates for uneven wear ("burn in").

Drinking a half gallon of vodka probably won't kill you. Drinking a half gallon of vodka every day just might, sooner or later.

Going out and running six miles one time will not get you in shape. All it will do is make you sore. Neither will lifting weights for 2 hours. You have to do it repetitively and regularly to see any benefits.

Eating a whole bag of peanut butter cups or polishing off a gallon of ice cream is not going to instantly make you fat. Eating a bag of peanut butter cups or devouring a gallon of ice cream every single day will likely make you fat.

Capiche?

The only people that need to worry about permanent burn-in on their plasmas are those who repeat the same content over and over regularly with little variation. Like people that play marathon video game sessions with bright graphic overlays for 12 hours at a time. Over and over and over.

You tend to see uneven phosphor wear on plasmas in retail environments, because they often loop the same demos over and over for several hours every day.

Most people watch a movie now and again, for a few hours, and then switch to some full screen content, and then change the channel and watch something else. These types do not have any problem with burn-in at all. They vary their viewing. That's all you have to really do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My buddy has a newer Samsung plasma. Dont know the model number, but it has the 4 leg chrome base.

It had a TV station logo burned into the bottom right. I dont know how long it was left on though....

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I routinely watch 4:3 in 4:3. I routinely run games or other static content. I also routinely watch 16:9 and 2:35:1 content. None of these has caused any detectable issues after several years. I probably babied the set a bit as to running fullscreen for the first 2-3 months. Not at all since. My set is at least 3 generations old; newer sets will likely be even better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
my Kuro 9 gen do not suffer of any image retention or burn it. I use it as a normal CRT TV and nver had anything stuck to the screen. Orbitter switched on for normal TV viewing though.

My older pioneer a 6th gen used had some problems with retention, but then it went away.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I don't trust my new LG plasma to not burn in. Certain channel logos would have horrible retention, mostly history channel left over an 8 hours of bad retention from just watching one show.

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndSky /forum/post/19555040

Thanks. So, would watching a 3 hour movie in 4:3 be a problem?

No. When I got my first plasma in early 2003 the first thing I did was calibrate with DVE and then watched three 2:35:1 movies in a row.

larry

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Samsung PN50A550 has the ammo counter from Bad Company 2 burned into the lower corner. I really can't be mad at the set because my roomate played 400 HOURS on it. When he didn't have a job he would routinely play 8-10 hours a day and not do anything about the retention.

Also I did not realize that in just scan mode the tv's pixel rotation does not work...I think if I had it in 16:9 mode things would be better. You live and you learn I guess.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtea /forum/post/19557825

My Samsung PN50A550 has the ammo counter from Bad Company 2 burned into the lower corner. I really can't be mad at the set because my roomate played 400 HOURS on it. When he didn't have a job he would routinely play 8-10 hours a day and not do anything about the retention.

Also I did not realize that in just scan mode the tv's pixel rotation does not work...I think if I had it in 16:9 mode things would be better. You live and you learn I guess.

pixel orbiter does nothing but spread the IR. I tried both on and off, doesn't matter. I don't even use it anymore.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/19557974

pixel orbiter does nothing but spread the IR. I tried both on and off, doesn't matter. I don't even use it anymore.

I know it spreads the IR around, but I think it would have helped with the very clear burn in. I don't know what the game designers where thinking when they made the ammo counter pure white on pure black!?

Eh..it is a killer excuse to get a new one, and my buddy is buying the one he messed up.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
yup, I'm kinda regretting buying a plasma. PQ isn't a night and day difference from a similar priced LCD. The IR is pretty awful and some logos staying clearly visible for hours has me worried. I hate the fact that the TV dictates what I watch on this tv. I'm even worried about watching movies with letter box on this thing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i know of some pubs using plasma tv mostly switched on 18 hours a day, usually on the same channel. The set are LG and Panasonics, none of them have any logos stuck to the screen. I do not know but to me burnin and retention are 2 different things.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt767 /forum/post/19558264

i know of some pubs using plasma tv mostly switched on 18 hours a day, usually on the same channel. The set are LG and Panasonics, none of them have any logos stuck to the screen. I do not know but to me burnin and retention are 2 different things.

i know what I see on this pk950. Most video game IR goes away in few mins but certain channel logos stay on for many hours afterward with history channel being the worst.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just noticed too many channels have their logos displaying majority of the time. I am considering getting a plasma but the idea of my aunt using the tv when I am not here and the logo burning in. On the plus side commercials do interfere with that every so often. I also game often enough, dunno if the hud would burn in. Trying to decide between lcd, led, and plasma.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellover009 /forum/post/19558892

I just noticed too many channels have their logos displaying majority of the time. I am considering getting a plasma but the idea of my aunt using the tv when I am not here and the logo burning in. On the plus side commercials do interfere with that every so often. I also game often enough, dunno if the hud would burn in. Trying to decide between lcd, led, and plasma.

i'd get an lcd and not worry about it. Even today the fox sports logo is IR on after watching the game. PQ honestly isn't a leap over the LCDs my friends own. I'd rather have the piece of mind of no IR. I bought in to the plasma knowing this tv is known for IR but didn't realize how bad it really was.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have yet to see any IR on my TC-P42S2. I've watched football games, movies (over cable, from my HTPC, and from my blu-ray player), tv shows, etc...

I did make sure to baby it though for the first 100 or so hours and ran some break-in slides as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts