AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might take the plunge and get the Samsung PN50B550 at Best Buy today. I am just wondering how good of an upgrade this would be compared to my 18 month old Toshiba LCD set.


It's a 42", model: 42RV530U

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/prod...model=42RV530U


I really do like this TV, but with the clearance prices I am seeing now I think I am ready to make a jump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
I had the 40RV525U briefly. I think that is just the Costco version of the 530U.


If the 530 is similar to the 525 then you will be very pleased indead with the plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18159310


I might take the plunge and get the Samsung PN50B550 at Best Buy today. I am just wondering how good of an upgrade this would be compared to my 18 month old Toshiba LCD set.


It's a 42", model: 42RV530U

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/prod...model=42RV530U


I really do like this TV, but with the clearance prices I am seeing now I think I am ready to make a jump.

I've done side-by-side in-home post-calibration comparisons of the 42RV530U against a 42" Panasonic plasma (TH-42PZ77U) and there was no comparison. The Panasonic looked more natural and overall much better both with SD and HD sources than the Toshiba.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bought it. Best Buy actually gave the TV to me with no interest for 36 months which just seems like forever to go without paying for a TV at this price. Anyway picking up my dad's truck tonight and setting it all up. I hope it's a good one since it was the last sealed one they had at the store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18161416


Well I bought it. Best Buy actually gave the TV to me with no interest for 36 months which just seems like forever to go without paying for a TV at this price. Anyway picking up my dad's truck tonight and setting it all up. I hope it's a good one since it was the last sealed one they had at the store.

Not sure if you meant to say no payments for 36 months. That does not mean no payments, just no interest applied IF minimum payments paid monthly on time and balance paid w/i that period. Be careful not to miss a payment due date because the credit card company that carries "the loan" can void that no interest aspect of the financing if you become delinquent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Not only that, if you miss any payment, even a year down the road - they apply the interest all the way back to the date of purchase. Do NOT miss a payment on that sucker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I actually did miss that. I sold my Toshiba LCD to a friend so I am getting a monster first payment to put on this thing (2/3 of the entire cost).


As for the TV I got it all setup and I have to say I am really impressed. You guys are right about Plasmas blowing away LCD's. Not sure what to else to look for on this set. The buzz issue is definitely a non-issue for me. I can only hear a buzz when I bring my ear behind the set and listen.


I am new to plasmas so I am trying to be cautious. I am running he set with contrast and brightness down low and plan on doing a few nights of the break-in dvd. The set doesn't look so hot with the settings down like that, but I want this set to be a keeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18164072


Thanks for the tips guys, I actually did miss that. I sold my Toshiba LCD to a friend so I am getting a monster first payment to put on this thing (2/3 of the entire cost).


I am new to plasmas so I am trying to be cautious. I am running he set with contrast and brightness down low and plan on doing a few nights of the break-in dvd. The set doesn't look so hot with the settings down like that, but I want this set to be a keeper.

.. as mentioned: you have to continue payments 'on-time' otherwise can cause "big troubles" .. unless you payoff beforehand.


break-in is minor precaution; you have done well 'kimosabe'. ~ 100hrs of cell exercise won't hurt anybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
welcome to the world of plasma


i was in a similar situation a week ago, had already bought a Toshiba 40xv645u that was originally intended for my PC in my room but that got replaced by a Panny 37" S1 due to the panny being less laggy and more blur free than the 120hz toshiba


we then mounted the toshiba in the living room and dang it was so small at 10' away so back to best buy it went and bought a Panny 50X1 for the same price as the 40" Toshiba and let me tell you wow what a difference in picture even though its not 1080p it doesn't matter the plasma rocks so much in every other way vs the LCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/18164114


.. as mentioned: you have to continue payments 'on-time' otherwise can cause "big troubles" .. unless you payoff beforehand.


break-in is minor precaution; you have done well 'kimosabe'. ~ 100hrs of cell exercise won't hurt anybody.
And I read a few things on HD Guru's site about how burn-in on today's plasmas is a bit blown out of proportion and these new sets are definitely less of a concern.


Oh and BTW the set I bought's manufactured date is 02/2010. Thought production would have stopped by now. Oh well, I am okay with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18161416


I hope it's a good one since it was the last sealed one they had at the store.

That statement does not sound good to me. So you mean to say that there were multiple opened boxes? When I see more than 3 open-box returns of a model, it is a sign that people tried them and did not like them. That's just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One on display, one sealed... or so the salesman says. I've heard it too many times before... So far so good though, so until there is something to worry about I'll be happy and content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18164183

And I read a few things on HD Guru's site about how burn-in on today's plasmas is a bit blown out of proportion and these new sets are definitely less of a concern.

From what I understand, you basically have to abuse your Plasma in order to get permanent burn in on today's models. A lot of people confuse image retention with burn-in, I might add. I've had my Panny G15 Plasma for about 5 months now, and I play a LOT of video games. I've experienced image retention exactly 4 times...and it always went away within 5 minutes or less (and it wasn't very apparent to see in the first place).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
My first PN50B540 had some major IR issues, always went away but took a few hours of the wipe to completely clear the bars from a 2hr blu-ray. Exchanged it after 150hrs use and the new one is miles better, been watching Olympics 3+ hrs a night since last Friday and CTV has a ridiculously bright logo in the top right quadrant that is too far from the edge to zoom away. That retains but will clear itself over the course of one commercial break. More than pleased with this set.

To add my two cents to the original question, I replaced a Sammy LNT4061 with this set and there is no comparison in quality, the Plasma blows it away in every aspect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 /forum/post/18165191


From what I understand, you basically have to abuse your Plasma in order to get permanent burn in on today's models. A lot of people confuse image retention with burn-in, I might add. I've had my Panny G15 Plasma for about 5 months now, and I play a LOT of video games. I've experienced image retention exactly 4 times...and it always went away within 5 minutes or less (and it wasn't very apparent to see in the first place).

That's how my 58" PZ800U was when I first got it, i.e. very minimal IR and it would go away within minutes. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case after 500 hours and now that the MLL has doubled.


Enjoy the first 500 hours of your Panny plasma's deep blacks and minimal IR. After that when the drive voltages go up your blacks will no longer be as dark and IR will get worse.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top