AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on the plasma forum, well I'm back and I think it's time for an upgrade. For the past three years I've been very pleased with the Panasonic TH-50PX60U, now this panel is about three generations back in the Panasonic lineup. This was way before 1080p PDPs were available, anyways I've been reading good things about the new Panasonics and Samsungs. The G10 and V10 from Panasonic and the B650 from Samsung. Now I know that the Panny will give me deeper black levels and that the Samsung will have better colors and processing. To be honest I'm leaning towards the Samsung, but I've read several posts saying that the blacks will be lighter. How much lighter are we talking about? Will they be lighter than my current panel? The panasonic that I currently have was supposed to have the best black level when I got it. So my concern is whether the Samsung will have worse black levels than my current Panasonic? I appreciate the help guys!

Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
i was on the same situation of you with the same pana TV, i upgrade to Kuro 6020 and for me is like 80% improve, now i know that you are asking for pana and samsung but i think you will see a big improve

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
I have a 50PX50U and a PRO-150FD. Unless you plan to upgrade to a 60" (+/-) display I believe your HT $$$$ are better spent on a 7.1 receiver & a speaker package; if you happen to be in the market for those items too.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I had the 50PX500U and had the same worry -- i.e would it be enough of an improvement to be worthwhile (and would SD material actually look worse on a 1080p screen).

We just got a new 63" set and the family consensus is it is a significant improvement. A lot of that, psychologically, is probably the larger set. But we also insist we notice a large PQ improvement to, even with SD content (played from DirecTV). The colors just seem to pop a lot more and while we do not have the top two brands for plasma black level (Pioneer then Panasonic) the black level we do get is still orders of magnitude better than the 4 year-old Panny (at least out of the box in both cases and neither has been calibrated).

BTW, I paid less for this 63” 1080p than I did in 2005 for the 50” 720p set.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, as long as the black level isn't worse than what I currently have I'll be totally happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.