AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2009 Panasonic Plasma. Its 42" and I want to go bigger and step into 3D. I'm looking in the $2k - $3k range and I've been trying to decided whether to go with a TV or a projector setup. I could go the easy route and grab one of the 64/65 inch Samsung plasmas and not look back -- its a bigger screen than I have now, 3D, and I'm sure better picture quality, but I don't think they make plasmas (in this price range) above 65 inches, so I have been wondering what I could achieve (and what I would have to give up) with an lcd or projector. For example the 75" LCD Samsung UN75F6400 rings in at $3k. If I went the projector route I would do CIH and a screen size of around 87 inches (diagonal) for 2.35:1 content and 70 inches for 16:9 content. I'm assuming with something as "small" as 87 inches I could get a darker screen material to help with black levels.

My watching habits are 1/3 of the content is 16:9 with the lights on (news, kids shows, casual tv), 1/3 is 16:9 with the lights dimmed ("serious" tv), and 1/3 movies with the lights off. My seating distance is ~10 feet.

I have never experienced a projector setup in the home, so I'm hoping you guys can provide some insight. For 16:9 content with a plasma at 65 inches, lcd at 70 or 75 inches, and a projector at 70inches, it seems like the projector isn't the best choice? So I think my question is really for 2.35:1 content -- how would a 61 inch (letterboxed on a 65" screen) plasma display compare to an 87 inch projector? What about an LCD, I assume it is the middle ground, but is the picture quality closer to the plasma or closer to the projector?

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Front projection demands a dark room for best results. Unlike flat panel displays which can perform very well to excellent with lights on, projectors lose contrast not just with lights on, but with light colored walls. They can't project 'black', they project light, and the light that bounces off the screen and hits light colored walls, falls back on the screen and takes away from the quality. A great deal actually. When compared to a plasma, a projector can do very well, if the projector is decent and the room is good. But, in a typical family room, projectors tend to be a very bad choice.

That said, CIH introduces it's own set of demands which must be dealt with. You also have a size/brightness issues which brings up the reality that projectors are designed for about a 92"-120" diagonal size. As well, projectors often gain quality as prices rise.

So, with a 92" to 120" diagonal, and JVC RS46 projector, in a properly treated room, on a white screen you will get results that look like a plasma flat panel display. That just look awesome really! But, at lower budgets, at smaller sizes, it simply isn't what I would recommend and rarely is a 'better price choice' compared to the flat panel options.

IMO, you would be better off with a 75" Samsung display or an 80" Sharp.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:-/ I was hoping you would say the differences are small and the larger screen makes up for it. I wanted an excuse to go big, but I doubt I could live with a washed out screen. I've been thinking about painting the tv wall a neutral grey color and the wife approves of it as an accent wall, but the reality of this not being a dedicated space does mean the rest of the room is white.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You can do what I did. Just get a projector and motorized screen. My screen comes down I front of my 60" Sony. I use the projector for movies, 3D, and game time. Also I have a 100" from 9 ft viewing distance. It's the best decision i have made and the wife now agrees too.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ  /t/1525048/how-much-picture-quality...tween-modern-projectors-and-tvs#post_24549252

:-/ I was hoping you would say the differences are small and the larger screen makes up for it. I wanted an excuse to go big, but I doubt I could live with a washed out screen. I've been thinking about painting the tv wall a neutral grey color and the wife approves of it as an accent wall, but the reality of this not being a dedicated space does mean the rest of the room is white.

For me the large screen (100" in my case) does make up for the other picture qualities. And I only have a budget LED projector. When I show people the projector they don't complain about contrast/brightness, rather they just go gaga over the big picture. Last weekend I was showing it to an in-law who likes Star Wars, so I popped in A New Hope and the rebels attacking the Death Star and he was psyched. It just blows away watching it on my 47" TV. I think the fun aspect of the big picture wins out. But I do have it in a light controlled basement. Mainly my wife still uses the living room TV, but that is partly due to the basement being unfinished, which she constantly complains about. That is why this weekend I began clearing all the junk out of the basement to get ready for the home theater build!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22  /t/1525048/how-much-picture-quality...-modern-projectors-and-tvs/0_60#post_24549419

For me the large screen (100" in my case) does make up for the other picture qualities. And I only have a budget LED projector. When I show people the projector they don't complain about contrast/brightness, rather they just go gaga over the big picture. Last weekend I was showing it to an in-law who likes Star Wars, so I popped in A New Hope and the rebels attacking the Death Star and he was psyched. It just blows away watching it on my 47" TV. I think the fun aspect of the big picture wins out. But I do have it in a light controlled basement. Mainly my wife still uses the living room TV, but that is partly due to the basement being unfinished, which she constantly complains about. That is why this weekend I began clearing all the junk out of the basement to get ready for the home theater build!

Yep, the big screen makes up for some short comings. Every time we watch a movie it's better than the theaters. It puts a big grin on our faces.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
There are many options and the people in this forum are more than willing to champion how great front projection is, myself included. But, I've also used a projector once in a terrible room. Lots of windows, and even with curtains, there was light levels that were just tough to control and not something we wanted to control every time we watched TV. So, we got a 50" flat panel display, and I put up a screen which could drop down in front of the TV. At night, we could enjoy the big screen experience, but for day-to-day viewing it was the flat panel which got the majority of the workout.

This is really your decision, but based upon what you have specifically stated as your viewing, the flat panel is the priority display.

If you add a projector, then you should be looking in the 92"-100" diagonal size, and you should be looking at a 16:9 screen, not 2.35 unless your walls are exceptionally short (unlikely). There are 'cheap' ways to get good quality with a projector and screen that can be setup for around $1,000. Which would leave you some decent money for a 60" or so flat panel, and you would still need audio taken care of and a decent remote control.

·
Registered
28 Posts

87 inches is not worth it. 

But if we saw a phone pic of your viewing space there may be workarounds. 

You can fairly easily buy a huge manual 135" pull-down screen for a couple hundred delivered to your house off Amazon and install it in front of everything you have including TV. 

Couple that with a BenQ short throw projector like the BenQ W1080ST ceiling mounted to give you around a 135" picture despite how limited your room is. 

Its very do-able and would blow any TV out of the water with sheer orgasmic screen size and would look just as good too. Even day time would be reasonable with some simple light control/curtains.  

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a 78" screen because its the biggest I can fit in the space available and I sit about 7 feet away from it and its well worth it. Its viewing distance against screen size that counts.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Bright room family TV watching does not usually equate to a projector being a good idea. Dedicated man cave/media/theater room - most definitely the projector will blow away a $3k LCD. Turn on the lights and things start to go from great to meh... to bad in a hurry. If I want to watch something with the lights on, I use my 58" plasma. If I want to really enjoy something, I watch it on my 110" screen in pure darkness and with really high quality material it sometimes seems more like looking through a huge window into another world. 110" from 9' away is amazing compared to a much smaller screen.

But that said, sounds like the OP would be better suited to a 70-80" LCD.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,144 Posts
I've used projectors for about 12 years now -- but the newer, even midline tvs, look so good it's pretty tough to advocate a front projection system in anything but a dedicated dark theater space.

The 70" Sony midrange TV with passive 3d for $1699 has a phenomenal picture compared to any projector I've seen. I almost am considering one myself. It's been on sale at Amazon, FRYs, and Best buy for $1700 to 1800. When it's not on sale it's $2300.

A movie on a 120" screen is worth the performance dedregation - but I can't deny that even a current tech midline TV looks better than the best projectors I've seen. That said -- for the last say 5 years home projector technology has rivaled or bested your typical theater/cinema quality experience. So it depends on what you want at home. A bigger than life cinema experience at home, or a best video quality route in a smaller screen HDTV.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm with everybody else here. I'm a true projector devotee, and I can't get enough of watching movies on my Epson 5010 with a 133" 2.35:1 screen. But if I couldn't go above 85", I would probably just get a really large TV in the 65" - 75" range.

It's just so much simpler, and you don't have to worry about light control and reflections, or wasting the lamp life on kids shows or evening news, etc. So no, I don't think it would be practical (ie "worth it") for the size you're talking about.

But to answer the other part of your question in regards to image quality: My Epson 5010 is in a basement room with no windows and with very good control of light reflections by using black velvet around the screen. Watching a movie with the lights off, it's the best picture I've ever seen. That includes movie theaters and any TV's I've ever seen in people's homes. Here's a gallery of my setup:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Edgar_in_Indy

Are there TV's that look better? I'm sure there are, but I haven't had the chance to view a really high-end, properly calibrated TV in an ideal viewing environment. So I'm sure the picture could be beaten, but I doubt it would be by any kind of large margin. But even so, the huge size and immersion factor of the projected image would probably trump any minor advantages in picture quality on the smaller TV.

Now turn some lights on, and suddenly my five-year-old 52" Samsung A650 LCD TV looks better. The projector is still watchable, but the picture quality is no longer great. If the lights aren't too bright (no sunlight) then it's still good enough for sports, American Idol, etc, but no longer cinema quality.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've got a 60" Samsung Plasma (F5500) with a 106" drop down screen in front of it and a Mitsubishi HC7900. On a pure technical level, the plasma has "better PQ" (better blacks, sharper, brighter). On a purely subjective level, the projector is so much better that I'm contemplating putting the plasma in the kids room so I can go with a fixed frame screen.

The sheer size and the "Theater-like" quality by far trumps the (slight) technical edge that the flat panel has.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Zoom a projector down to a tiny 60" and your PQ will be the same.. Now take your 60" TV and make it 110".. oh wait, you can't do that..
So yes, a 110" projection image is way better than a TV .. Cause there ain't no affordable 110" TVs yet.. And even if there was, you couldn't roll them up into the case when not in use..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the input so far. I think the only idea I'm against is a drop down projector screen. It could just be my inexperience, but I feel like if I'm going to the projector route I would prefer the look of a wall mounted screen. Plus my current 42" screen would just feel inadequate so I don't think it would really see much use if I had a drop down projector.

Here is my current setup to see if it spurs any ideas. Whether I get a larger TV or a projector, I'm going to get a new TV stand -- something shorter so that I don't have to look up at the screen. The distance between the speakers is 95 inches. Eyeballing it with the wife, it feels like 80 inches is as wide of a screen as we could do without it looking awkwardly close to the speakers, this is the constraint that drives the 87" 2.35:1 screen size.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think a view from the side would also be very useful, so that people could see the depth of the room, and what your placement options are for a projector and screen.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho  /t/1525048/how-much-picture-quality...tween-modern-projectors-and-tvs#post_24574627

I've got a 60" Samsung Plasma (F5500) with a 106" drop down screen in front of it and a Mitsubishi HC7900. On a pure technical level, the plasma has "better PQ" (better blacks, sharper, brighter). On a purely subjective level, the projector is so much better that I'm contemplating putting the plasma in the kids room so I can go with a fixed frame screen.

The sheer size and the "Theater-like" quality by far trumps the (slight) technical edge that the flat panel has.
I agree with this. I own a 65VT60 and just bought the cheapest 1080p projector that Viewsonic makes the other day. The sheer size just dominates the better blacks and contrast of the VT60. I can only imagine how much better it gets with better model projectors.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Better is subjective, the newer JVC's can beat Plasmas in most contrast types, especially black levels. Projectors produce a smoother more film-like look, TV's are more digital looking. If you like the glossy digital look, then a TV will probably look slightly better. The Sub-$2000 projectors aren't as good as the best TV's, but the JVC's are better IMHO.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1525048/how-much-picture-quality...tween-modern-projectors-and-tvs#post_24574699

Zoom a projector down to a tiny 60" and your PQ will be the same.. Now take your 60" TV and make it 110".. oh wait, you can't do that..
So yes, a 110" projection image is way better than a TV .. Cause there ain't no affordable 110" TVs yet.. And even if there was, you couldn't roll them up into the case when not in use..

I tried this tonight on my Epson 8350. I made a 70" image 16x9 on my projector screen to compare to what I saw at best buy recently with the Sony 70" hdtv on sale for 1800$. It isn't even a contest. A modern hdtv is clearly superior in every single possible way when equivalent sizes are compared. I usually use a 106" screen, but the quality is not notably better by shrinking my projector image 36". I definitely appreciate the larger cinema size of my projector, but quality wise there is no contest.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts