AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new build coming up and am thinking about RAID'ing some drives...

I have looked and if I skip the floppy drive I think I could go with 5 HD's... One for OS and programs and 4 RIAD'ed for media files... All this in an ATX Desktop case...

Would a 350 Enermax be enough for this if they are set to spin down ??

Am I being foolish to try cramming all this into a desktop chassis ??

Other than this it will just be Radeon AGP / TV Gab card / M-Audio soundcard (undecided)... NO HD cards or DVB stuff etc...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PP:

___It is the DT case I wold be worried about in terms of heat evacuation. DT cases were not meant for 5 HD’s that I know of … Than again, small Rackmount servers with huge airflow from high output (loud cooling solutions) survive.

___The latest 80 GB drives output ~ 15 W while under load. 5 and you are talking 75 W while in full blown use. In other words, can your DT case of choice handle the thermal output of another T-Bird jammed into it for short durations? A RAID setup while recording would not be described as short term use in my book. A 350 sounds Ok w/ a Tualatin or Northwood but I would be looking at a HQ 400 or 450 for HTPC stability myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
FWIW:

I run my "media-server" with 7 drives (6x80 RAID5, 1x4gig) in a mid-atx tower (different beast than a dT, but similar needs as far as power goes) and I have a good quality 400W PSU. The largest power draw you will see is when the system powers up, as all drives are spinning up and being initialized, and with the 400W psu I've never seen any symptoms of 'brown out'...

This machine is primarily used as my media fileserver, serving mp3's and divx media files (up to 3 clients concurrently for divx off of the raid drive, so all 6 drives are active at the same time), and I've never had any issues with heat (only 1 additional fan other than psu fan) or with power loss to the drives/system. This is with a 1gig duron cpu on an ECS board.

I would guess that xcel's concern over heat in a DT case is fairly well grounded, as the heat dissipation in a case with such a short vertical profile is much less efficient as in a tower, so I'd consider some sort of additional cooling that fits your needs as far as sound deading goes (if it's possible to do so).

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine is kinda the opposite configuration from yours: Lots of space with a tiny P/S. I have 5 UDMA 33/66 drives + DVD-ROM in a maxi-tower case with only a 300 W rated supply originally sold by HP, but bought used by me. Each drive has a mobile dock with a fan. The CPU is only a Duron 900, but there's a HiPix in there too.

I'm not sure you need the 400+ Watts that others are recommending. I agree with their concerns about air circulation, though.

Stay cool, dude.

-yogaman

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look into a good quiet fan that moves some air and think about my airflow... Cutting it down to 4 drives should be easy but I wanted one for OS and the 4 for Raid... I know it seems like overkill and normally I would build another server box but my plan for this is to archive my entire CD collection and move it to another country so that I have music in both places.. I am limited by the amount of boxes I want to move...

·
Registered
702 Posts
The thing you have to worry about is current draw when the drives are spinning up. If you can't sequence the spin up, then all the drives will starting drawing a couple amps at 12V. This is the power required to overcome the inertia of the discs to get them up to 7200rpm (or whatever speed) So the best thing to do is to look at the tech specs of the drives, and compare the start up power draw to the total available power of your power supply on the 12V rail (which the rest of the motherboard uses as well).

From the western digital WD1200JB drive (120GB 8MB cache)
http://www.wdc.com/products/current/...Model=WD1200JB

it draws 2.2A at 12V so 26.8 watts for 9 seconds of spin up.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as these things are never precise I am just going to have to suck it and see...

Will probably take till next week or so for all the bits to arrive and I will post results... If it fails I will just build a super small rackmount PC with just an old P1 board I have, the drives, and a NIC...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.