AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a basic HTPC that deinterlace DVD's decently and run at 1024x768 without skipping frames. What kind of horsepower would I need for that? I'm hoping a 450 MHZ P2 and 128 megs of ram would be enough because I have an extra computer here just doing nothing! Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think youre only going to get an MP3 player out of that system, unless the video card had some kind of hardware decoding, then you MIGHT get DVD playback.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
for dvd playback, your extra PC will suffice. To run third party software such as ffdshow which is CPU intensive then you will need more processing power. I have a 750Mhz Duron processor and won't even try it. I don't need it anyways but someday i will upgrade. By the way i also have only 128MB of ram also. Get a good DVD-Rom drive that supports DMA and your 450Mhz will do the job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It should do fine depending on your video card. Until yesterday, i was using my wifes pc in the living room to play DVD's from accross the network onto a directview tv. Her pc was a PII 450, 128mb ram, Matrox G400 running Win2k. Used WinDVD and zoom player for playback . Out of the ten or so movies I've watched, all have been smooth as silk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.