AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to decide on a subwoofer for my home theater system (which I also use for music). Since I am overseas, I do not have ready access to many of the brands that are most often recommended here. Therefore, I would rather learn what criteria, beyond listening, I should apply. Here goes:

What is the rule of thumb on how much power a sub should have within a HT system? If the answer is "the more the better", what would be the rule of thumb for the absolute minimum?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Your questions are too vague. The answer about wattage depends on sensitivity of the woofer among other things...

A better way to ask your question would be to list manufacturers you CAN get down there, and then ask for opinions based upon those manufacturers products.

For instance, a 150W HSU VTF-2 can play louder and deeper than a 1500W Sunfire Jr. Subwoofer. As you can see, there is a factor of 10 difference in the power of the amp, but the lower powered unit plays louder and cleaner.

In the end, it is about how it actually sounds that matters most, IMHO.

Sorny

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pumafred
I have to decide on a subwoofer for my home theater system (which I also use for music). Since I am overseas, I do not have ready access to many of the brands that are most often recommended here. Therefore, I would rather learn what criteria, beyond listening, I should apply. Here goes:

What is the rule of thumb on how much power a sub should have within a HT system? If the answer is "the more the better", what would be the rule of thumb for the absolute minimum?
pumafred,

Since you are asking about an active subwoofer - one with a built in amp - the question

is should be how loud do you need the subwoofer to play.

The power doesn't directly tell you this - the efficiency of the driver comes into the

calculation. The manufacturer has chosen the amp power to fit the driver.

Consider two subwoofers - one with a low power amp, but high efficiency driver; and

a subwoofer with a low efficiency driver, for which the manufacturer has chosen a

higher power amp. Both may be capable of producing identical power levels, but

one will have a more powerful amp - but not play louder.

Therefore - the amp power doesn't tell you much about how loud it can play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.