AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I built 2 Micro (Ported...MARTYS! L MAO)subs with MFW15 drivers, they are all set with modeling/HPF up to 500W per WinIsd, but I couldn't find an absolute power input to these little guys.
I know that the supposed specs say 225W, and that the MFW15 Sub from AV123 had a 350W amp with custom filtering.
Does anyone REALLY know what these can handle for RMS and Peak wattage with controlled Excursion?
Has anyone here cooked one in an appropriate box?

Just wondering what these can TRULY handle for power if the XMAX is controlled with appropriate HPF, and I've seriously looked around for this info before I've posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
as always that depends on the application: the signal, the duration, the enclosure, the eq, etc.

350 watts is a reasonable number for how subs would typically be used in a home with a little bit of "conservative factor".

500 watts is pushing that little guy.

mfw is a long time ago. can't recall how many were ever cooked. seemed like amps were going up in smoke faster than drivers. :-(

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as always that depends on the application: the signal, the duration, the enclosure, the eq, etc.

350 watts is a reasonable number for how subs would typically be used in a home with a little bit of "conservative factor".

500 watts is pushing that little guy.

mfw is a long time ago. can't recall how many were ever cooked. seemed like amps were going up in smoke faster than drivers. :-(
I only used 500W as a Winisd Excursion model, and it fits fine with a HP at ~ 21 IIRC.
I'm referring to normal HT/Music listening power, basically sustained pounding in Music, and the once in awhile peaks of movies.
I've so far gotten away with >300w peaks per the clipping lights of the 3K.
This question is actually tied to what to do with the Limiter setting, as the driver is supposedly 3.04 ohms, not 4, not 2....and I'd prefer to not cook these little guys, but push them HARD with asome leeway.
I'm assuming I can run the limiter at 350W/4Ohm on the 3K, and be fine for 90+ % of everything, and be careful on the Pod scene, and other ridiculous stuff of the like.
Not looking for an absolute answer, I know that can't be had, just looking for experiences is all.

Thanks John.

Gary

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of the 100's, if not 1000's of MFW15 drivers sold, NOONE has burnt up one of these lightweights?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their amps didn't last long enough for that to happen. ;)
LOL
Forget the AV123 variant amps, I'm only referring to just the drivers Erich sold, and there were at least 100's in that group. :D
I want to hear from folks that actually smoked these low power drivers on other amps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nobody smoked an MFW15 driver?
You gotta be kidding me.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
500W is fine for XMAX with the box I have according to Winisd with that 21hz HPF.
That is Below the limit all the way past the band, and I have modeled above and below.
I'm guessing this will handle far more than rated specs in a controlled situation like most subs, I was just hoping to hear horror stories about heat/Voltage.

Thanks Guys!

Gary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts