1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Compared to what?

How about this quote from Secrets:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14...007-index.html

Quote:
One exhibitor, Hsu Research, had a setup that literally stunned me. In the back of the room where I was sitting, right behind my chair, was one of his new designs, called the MBM-12 Mid-Bass Module, that only reproduces the range from 50 to 150 Hz. He had it set for the range of 50 to 80 Hz. Since it is close to the sitting position, it does not have to be turned up very loud, although it has a 350 watt amplifier. The driver is lightweight, so it responds very quickly. The gunfight scene from Open Range was used for the demo, and the gunshots, because of that special woofer (of course, he had his regular subwoofers in there too, for the really low frequencies), sounded as close to real as I have ever heard in a home theater room. The effect stuck with me all afternoon. Anyway, if you ever have the chance to hear this demo at a local home theater show, be sure to sit in on it. Absolutely unbelievable!

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-n-tanner /forum/post/0

Well I have a Mirage s12 and was wondering if this MBM would add that chest pounding bass. The S12 has chest pounding bass but any impronement would be nice too. Thank-you!!

if it makes a difference with the VTF 3HO, I'd say you will also hear an improvement.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Best way to find out is to take some response measurements with your current configuration, if you have a dip in the 50hz-xover region, then yes, the MBM 12 should help flatten out the response throughout the bass handling frequency range.

If you already have a relatively smooth response, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket upgrade your sub, or maybe invest in some room treatments/bass traps.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The MBM also has some serious output capability and headroom in it's range (on the order of 120dB) - but I'm not sure what the S12 can do.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Max,

The MBM-12 is not designed to replace any serious sub below 50 hz. The component is designed for nearfield placement and has a woofer designed specifically for frequency ranges between 50 and above. Initially I co-located the MBM with my main sub and it did not have the impact I desired. When I moved it nearfield I was impressed to say the least.

My current setup consists of having the main sub do the work below 50 and the MBM-12 above that frequency range. The addition of the MBM has made a significant difference in richness and impact. I do agree with rockumsockum in his comments about improving your room by taking measurements, upgrading your main sub or purchase room treatments. These are very valid points he makes. However, room treatments are out for me and the other two items have been completed, but I just wanted to experiment with the MBM for fun and I was rewarded.

My greatest enjoyment with this component is its ability to improve music listening. I find more depth at the frequencies in most recordings that the MBM was designed to enhance. The ability to feel and absorb the music is much different now with the MBM in the listening area. The listening experience is just so much better.

For movies, there is a significant improvement because I do not have to run my main sub as hot as I did before. The MBM placed near field provides some serious impact sitting next to my listening area. I am not one to listen at reference level as past experiences with loud music has created some hearing loss. There were far to many Led Zepplin concerts in my life and I pay the price as I mature. My goals when I sit down is to listen at moderate levels and feel the music and enhance the visual, but do it without compromising my hearing. Therefore the MBM fits my requirements to the T. I'm a happy MBM owner, but everyone's room, listening habits, budget and expectations are different. The MBM has met mine.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Max,

As you live in Hsu's area, my suggestion is if you have the cash flow, visit their factory and share your impressions positive or negative.

I think the true test would be in your own home and if you feel positive about your experience at the factory, just take the MBM home and experiment. I don't think there are restrictions on a pick up versus a shipment with Hsu's 30 day return policy. Take it home and see if it meets your needs. If not, it was a fun exercise and you answered your own question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.