AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Cinenova Grande 5 amplifier to relieve my 3805 of duties. I am trying to get it to fit in my entertainment cabinet and am hoping this will work. The problem is I only have about a 1/2" or so room on the top, 1" on the sides, and the back is open. I am running Axioms which are fairly efficient speakers so it shouldn't put too hard of a load on it. I can even put a fan inside if it would help. Any advice?

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
IMHO, 1/2" on top is not enough for any receiver. Also any equipment above it is also susceptible to its heat. AMPS need to be either at the top of the rack, or far enough below everything else to not cause trouble with heat or RF interference.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The amp is going on the very bottom shelf. It is seperated from the equipment above it by a wooden shelf. All of the rest of my equipment has plenty of room, the amp is the only "squeeze" item. Like I mentioned, a fan is definitely an option to draw out the heat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You probably should have more than 1/2 inch above the Cinenova Grande. You don't want the amp heating up. That said, I have two Cinenova Grande 3 amps, and they never get hot at all. They don't even really feel warm. My B&K Referene 200 watt amp gets way hotter. I have plenty of ventilation because they just sit on the floor. You might be OK just because Cinenovas run so cool. Those amps are so tall and deep that it is difficult to find anything to put them in (which is why mine are on the floor).

·
Banned
529 Posts
As you probably know, wood is NOT a good conductor of hear and so IMHO you are unlikely to bake the item(s) on the shelf above. On the other hand, the wooden shelf above the receiver isn't going to dissipate the heat away from it either. Does your rack have a glass door on front? Hopefully not. But, if so, that would severly impact getting a good air flow around the receiver.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rack does have a glass door on the front, but as mentioned the back is completely open (it has a cloth cover over it). It keeps my 3 yr old from getting too intimate with my components. LOL. I have also heard that Cinenovas run cool so that is why I thought I could get away with it. If I moved my 811 I could move the shelf above it up a couple notches which would give me 3 or so inches, but then I have no idea where to move the 811 to. I always hear people complaining about lack of room and kind of laughed, and now I am in the same boat (guess it serves me right, LOL).

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
To keep an avr or any kind of amp in a cabinet is not a good practice because all amps need ventalation and if the front of the unit is closed in with a glass door that will make any unit run hotter,imagine if you are in a room with 2 windows on a hot day 1 in the front and one in the back i,if you open 1 window no air will circulate but if you open both windows then you will get a breeze,well the same principles apply to an enclosed cabinet or bookshelf.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.