AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building my 65" rptv into the wall in my basement. I will also place an equipment rack in the wall next to the tv. What I am trying to figure out is how much room do I need behind the tv and equipment to comfortably move around and make changes to cabling.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'd say 4 feet minimum. I know that sounds like a lot, but realize that a lot of the time you spend back there will be actually kneeling down or the act of kneeling or standing. Go behind neal make connection/ adjustment, stand, walk around front, test, repeat. I think any less and you'll end up cussing a lot. Also, while you're back there, think about lighting because you won't be able to see anything without some light.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
NGiovas,

If you are NOT planning to totally enclose your TV, the 36" will suffice. If the TV can be pulled forward out of the Hole, access to the rack should be a snap. The depth of your equipment rack need only be 20", leaving 16" tp veiw and reach the rear of the rack. Should you be planning to enclose the TV completely, (with access from behind - see photo) then "Briands" suggestion of 48" is a must . let me know if you want some detailed photos, or visit my Photo Gallery and you can see the pictured example in a finished state.

Maurice

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the photo. Looking at the finished product in your gallery it appears that the tv is totally enclosed by drywall. In the picture you attached it appears that there is a plywood wall behind the tv. How do you gain access to the back of the tv?

Also, are the four holes to the left and right of the tv for equipment racks? If so, what type did you use and how do you access the back?

Right now my plan is to build a custom enclosure out of hardwood (I have a full woodshop). That way I could design removable panels in front of the tv so I can slide it out. This would provide the enclosed look I want and also provide me access to the rear of the tv without losing 4 feet. I have also seen equipment racks that slide out to access the rear, but I don't know how good they are.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am planning on three feet behind mine with the rack, tv and speakers all open to the back. I hope that will be enough

Hate to change to topic, but Maurice, how did you flush mount your 73" Mitsu? This is exactly what I want to do...ie what about the portion of the TV under the screen???

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NGiovas
Thanks for the photo. Looking at the finished product in your gallery it appears that the tv is totally enclosed by drywall. In the picture you attached it appears that there is a plywood wall behind the . How do you gain access to the back of the tv?

Also, are the four holes to the left and right of the tv for equipment racks? If so, what type did you use and how do you access the back?

>

Right now my plan is to build a custom enclosure out of hardwood (I have a full woodshop). That way I could design removable panels in front of the so I can slide it out. This would provide the enclosed look I want and also provide me access to the rear of the tv without losing 4 feet. I have also seen equipment racks that slide out to access the rear, but I don't know how good they are.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'm taking a slightly different approach....

My issue is not my tv, and access behind it, but rather my equipment rack. I am building a "false wall" at the front of my theater to mount my plasma to, and to hold my equpment rack. The false wall will be 24" from the real back wall, and is sitting on a stage that extends from the real back wall to 24-36" in front of the false wall.

What I'm planning on doing (start this weekend) is building my rack with 4 casters and 4 heavy duty drawer slides (2 per side) so that I can slide the rack in and out of it's opening by 20"....my rack is 21" deep (depth from wall to wall is only 24"), so pulling it out 20" will allow my plenty of room to work behind it. There will be an additional access door to behind the false wall on the other side (opposite side from eqpt. rack) to gain access to the back of the rack/tv/sub/etc. The drawer slides will not bear any weight, they are just to ensure that the rack slides in/out of the opening properly...the casters will bear all the weight.

Probably not all that feasible for a flush mounted tv, however :/

Cheers

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.