AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. My room is basically 17X12 X 7 H so around 1600 cubic feet. I watch mostly movies/TV Games. While I do like impact having 2 kids means I can only go above -20db on my Denon 3808 about once a week.

Without a lot of detail (I'll do this once I get farther in the project) I can get a sub for about 500 under my budget that would be equivalent to a SVS 20-39 PC-Plus.

or if I wait a month (no big deal) for right on budget I can get the equivalent of a SVS PB13 Ultra.

I'm told that either will be a huge improvement over my PW2200. Question is how much sub do I need/can use in this room. $500 can certainly be put to good use but I'd rather spend the $500 now while its available than want an upgrade in a year or 2 when the money is gone and spent on other things.

Yes I know I could email SVS and I may do so but I would kind of feel like I was wasting their time since I'm not going to buy a PB13 Ultra no matter what becuase its simply out of my budget.

I'm leaning towards the biggest sub I can afford but if I had good advice that a SVS 20-39 PC-Plus will kill my room and PB13 Ultra will simply be silly I'm happy to have a smaller tube in the room and spend the $500 on room treatments or maybe a BFD or something else.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I changed this post around quite a bit so I thought I'd just bump it up since it may have been too confusing before.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have roughly the same layout you have except for having sloped ceiling and opposite side wall layout. And just a bit longer. So I would be interested in feedback to your thread as well... of course if you don't mind my sponging off your thread?

I am looking to up grade my sub too, from a SVS PB-10 ISD, and have been looking/thinking of going passive as I have a few amps around here that should be more than enough to power quite a few sub choices. My interest in the feedback you recieve is mainly in the size of the sub needed to do a good job. My room is 17' L X 12.5 W x 8.5 @ Highest, 7.5 @ Lowest. And opens into a dining room at about where your desk is. Good luck on your upgrade Toolatecrew.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I owned the 20-39 awhile ago and I've heard the pw2200. The 20-39 goes a bit lower but not much louder, so not that much of an upgrade.

The PB13 will be a much more significant upgrade in spl and quality. I would wait for that. It's not overkill by any means, I have the same size theater and I use four 18" drivers. Just enough

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It isnt bout how much sub you NEED, Its's how much you can get away with.

But hen again sometimes too muchis just too much especially when it comes to cabinet volume and the # of drivers.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/14272944

I owned the 20-39 awhile ago and I've heard the pw2200. The 20-39 goes a bit lower but not much louder, so not that much of an upgrade.

The PB13 will be a much more significant upgrade in spl and quality. I would wait for that. It's not overkill by any means, I have the same size theater and I use four 18" drivers. Just enough

Yeah, I use an mighty JBL 4645 18 and I would what more of the same or a few JBL 4645C because you can always tame the LFE.1 or the blend and mixture of LCRS mixed into the sub with LFE.1, thou I personal feel it sucks because it messes up the sub bass so, go with , multiples and send a few or portion of the low end to arrays of subs.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolatecrew /forum/post/14266738

I'm leaning towards the biggest sub I can afford but if I had good advice that a SVS 20-39 PC-Plus will kill my room and PB13 Ultra will simply be silly I'm happy to have a smaller tube in the room and spend the $500 on room treatments or maybe a BFD or something else.
There is no such thing as too much sub.

That said, room treatments and a BFD are nice, too.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Have you tried moving the sub to locations closer the the couch, like the bottom left corner or left wall? You could also consider adding a second 2200.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14276389

Have you tried moving the sub to locations closer the the couch, like the bottom left corner or left wall? You could also consider adding a second 2200.

I'd place the back of the sub so it's against the spine of the sofa try a few angles as that will vibrate into the spine and vibrate the sofa like good one.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14276207

There is no such thing as too much sub.

That said, room treatments and a BFD are nice, too.

You got that right, you haven't lived until you've caused the walls of the house to ripple with the bass!
small subs are for children I need a bigger one.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/14276655

You got that right, you haven't lived until you've caused the walls of the house to ripple with the bass!
small subs are for children I need a bigger one.

Yes that’s silly because you’ll only hear distortion then because of buzzing and vibrating rattling sounds and there’s nothing clever in that it’s just darn right distracting .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney82 /forum/post/14276136

Ed A3-300

I'm sure its a nice sub but subs with reported amp issues that have no support in Canada are eliminated. It may sound harsh but if there is no supply/dealer in Canada I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14276389

I found the back corner is not a good location . A 2nd PW2200? It will give more output but its not going to go deeper or really give me better sound. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
OK, well, I have to ask...................... budget?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I was just waiting for ebnough people to support what I really have wanted to do in my head ever since I found out about this product.

I've asked Nathan to build me one of these http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=fw_15_1

I did not get good reponses from HSU ..big shipping costs and no Canadian service/dealer. The local options like Paradigm would have excceded my budget to get this kind of performance. SVS was considered but to get this tupe of perfomance would require going way over budget. So based on positive ffedback from an admitedly small group, avery good feeling I get from dealing with the builder and faith in buying Canadian I'm going to take the plunge. Hopefully this will be the last sub I'll need/want for a LONG time. The window to spend my windfall is short. I've had a couple other ones in the last 2 years always intending to buy something nice for the HT and I put it off and then the $ ends up buying a new kitchen table or swing set for the kids. This one is all about ME! At least until the FW 15.1 knocks all my wifes China off the shelves

1 - 17 of 17 Posts