AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My finished room will be roughly 13'5" x 26' x 8'3". Not sure if I should go one supply at the front and one return at the rear of the room. Most of the time I will use the theater but, there will be 5 chairs, projector and equipment at the back of the room.

Also, I was going to use flex duct but, I'm not sure if I want to do the entire run from the main trunk, maybe just the last 8ft or so, because the flex duct is restrictive from what I have heard. I don't have an option of seperate line to furnace just for FYI.

I am going to DD/GG the room. The framing is already decoupled. Ranch style home.

Thanks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd go 2 supplies and 1 return and make all the runs flex duct.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I ran two supplies in the ceiling towards the middle of the room and a return on the front left. You can see pictures in my thread on page 2.

I used flex duct for the supplies.

The only think I would've done different was to run the supply a little further from the HVAC on the other side of the wall. Although I did DD/GG and decoupled, the sound still comes from the HVAC through the return a little. Not too distracting, but I would've done something differnet now that I think of it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That's a pretty good sized room. A flex duct will be more restrictive so you are best to use flex duct only where you need it (in or above the room) and to run 2 of them into the room. Run the largest return possible so you can get enough low pressure airflow. Design it so that you can add inline fans in either the incoming or return lines IF (and only if) you find that you need additional flow in the future.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have read the flex duct is restrictive that's why I was only going to use it for the theater in the basement and nowhere else. I'm hoping that two 15ft supply runs from the main HVAC trunk with only one 90 degree bend will be ok. Otherwise I was thinking to use half 6" dia. sheetmetal duct and then switch to the 6" dia flex for the last 8ft. of run before the exit.

I think I maybe able to fit 8"dia for the return. The return run would be 16-17ft with one 90 degree bend.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
For my room which is roughly 20 x 13.5 x 7' 10" the HVAC guys put in two supplies and one return. One supply is at the front left ceiling area, the second is the rear left ceiling area, and the return would be considered at the rear lower right area of the room (connects directly with the furnace with about 1.5 feet of duct) adjacent to the equipment room. You should be good with the two supplies and the one return. I had professional HVAC guys do the evaluation and the install. Might not hurt to seek advice to see if your system has enough umph to do the extra you are calling on it to do.

Regards,

RTROSE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts