AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my Ultimate last week to a WD 120GB. When I go to System info and More Info it still shows only 35 hours. Any idea if this is normal. How do I know if I have 105 hours?

Thanks,

Erich

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are you running at least version 3.5? If I remember correctly, I didn't see the 105 hour message until I went to 3.5. If I am wrong - I am sure others will correct me!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpardee
Are you running at least version 3.5? If I remember correctly, I didn't see the 105 hour message until I went to 3.5. If I am wrong - I am sure others will correct me!
You're right, Michael. It took 3.5 to show the correct hours.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Have you recorded anything you want to keep on the new drive?

If not, try code 23552355.

If you have, then try unplugging it after watching TV tonight & plug it back in tomorrow morning.

Good luck. Are you sure you have in the 120gig drive?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by etavadia
I upgraded my Ultimate last week to a WD 120GB. When I go to System info and More Info it still shows only 35 hours.
If you have v3.5 and you really installed a 120GB drive, then you should see "Variable, up to 105 hours" on that screen. I remember an old, old post from someone who had this same problem and -- if I remember correctly -- after several days of research it turned out that he had the drive jumpered incorrrectly. It was jumpered into some sort of "compatibility" mode for use with OS's that don't support really large disks. Maybe you have something similar going on? You should be able to pull out the drive and put it in a "newer" PC (i.e., recent BIOS) and go into the BIOS settings. Even though the security will prevent you from reading the drive's contents, the BIOS should be able to detect the drive and report it's head/sector/size information. That might help a bit with the detective work. You should then be able to put the drive back into the UTV without any loss of information or redownload of the OS. -TJ

P.S. Also curious, what does "It was upgraded to 3.5 with no scheduled upgrades?" mean?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi etavadia,

First make sure you're looking at all the system info. screens...

There are several screens... The Sony/RCA UTVs (RCA 490) where "designed" with 35 hours in mind... It is possible the sys info. screen mentions the built in "up to 35 hours" feature and then later states "up to 105 hrs" as actual available space...

Check that first... it is the most likely the cause of your "problem".

If you're still getting this problem AND you're only getting something like 25 hours of recordings I'd look into your HD as an Issue...

From earlier posts... you had a WD HD that had an LBA # ending in 000 and that is usually a no no... As I recall you also ran a WD utility on the drive which might have done some "bad" things... as far as UTV is concerned...

If your PC was not configured to recognize the 120GB drive correctly it could have "seen" it as a 40GB (or XX GB) drive instead and the WD utility could have "formatted" it as if it was XXGB...

Just some thoughts... Did you ever download Drive Fitness Test and check your Hard Drive's security support and condition?

Later,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.