AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its time to build a dedicated htpc again for my new crt coming. However ive been out of the video card loop since the 9800 came out. My research is pointing me tward a geforce 6600 agp. This would allow me to do the uber combo of theatertek/new nvidia dvd decoder vxa and the new nvidia drivers that let the true form stuff work. However according to nvidias page, a 6200 will do all of this up to 720p ( not 1080i/p for hdtv).


Now if I can use the ffdshow filters ( i like the limited sharpen route myself) for scaling dvd 2x, would it be even worth it to get a 6600? Would using the ffdshow filters render the hardware decoding useless? Or does the new trueform/nv dvd/6600 combo does that make ffdshow obsolete?


Now for hd i dont think i can pull that off with my current cpu using just software. So i would have to use hardware decoding for hdtv 720p/1080i. Can i do that with just a 6200?


A 6600 runs about $120-130 with 128bit ram, and a fan( i hate video card fans). However a 6200 ( 4 pipes disabled) wiht 64bit ram only runs $50-60 and is passive cooled.


Or should I stick with a radeon 9800 wiht a fan, or a 9600 se without a fan?



Do you see my problems, can you feel my pain?


Pc specs, barton mobile oc to 2.4ghz, abit nf7-s 2.0



ALso. Dvd is 720/480 so people double it to 1440/960. The problem is that anamorphic dvds are 854/480 when stretched back to the correct aspect ratio. So for custom resolutions on my crt projector, do i want 1440/960 or 1708/960( well it would have to be 1712 really to be divisable by 16)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole
Well its time to build a dedicated htpc again for my new crt coming. However ive been out of the video card loop since the 9800 came out. My research is pointing me tward a geforce 6600 agp. This would allow me to do the uber combo of theatertek/new nvidia dvd decoder vxa and the new nvidia drivers that let the true form stuff work. However according to nvidias page, a 6200 will do all of this up to 720p ( not 1080i/p for hdtv).
Down the list:

The 7800 does everything.

The 6600 will loose you HD adaptive deinterlacing

The 6800 will loose you HD adaptive deinterlacing and WMV accelleration*

The 6200 will loose you Film mode detection and hardware accelleration >720p


The ultimate is the 7800, but comparatively the 6600 is hard to beat.


*The PCIe 6800 (non-GT, non-Ultra) does WMV accelleration also.

Quote:
Now if I can use the ffdshow filters ( i like the limited sharpen route myself) for scaling dvd 2x, would it be even worth it to get a 6600? Would using the ffdshow filters render the hardware decoding useless? Or does the new trueform/nv dvd/6600 combo does that make ffdshow obsolete?
ffdshow, or any software post-processor disables all hardware accelleration. So the deinterlacing and film detection are not used with ffdshow. They would still be valuable for HDTV since ffdshow is impractical if not impossible with HD content.

Quote:
Now for hd i dont think i can pull that off with my current cpu using just software. So i would have to use hardware decoding for hdtv 720p/1080i. Can i do that with just a 6200?


A 6600 runs about $120-130 with 128bit ram, and a fan( i hate video card fans). However a 6200 ( 4 pipes disabled) wiht 64bit ram only runs $50-60 and is passive cooled.


Or should I stick with a radeon 9800 wiht a fan, or a 9600 se without a fan?
If you can't or won't go for the 6600 at least, then stick with the 9800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Quote:
A 6600 runs about $120-130 with 128bit ram, and a fan( i hate video card fans). However a 6200 ( 4 pipes disabled) wiht 64bit ram only runs $50-60 and is passive cooled.
Newegg has a Gygabyte 6600 pasive cooled w/256 MB for $120.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya but the agp version is $140 +5 shipping. For that much i could get a gt from zipzoomfly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
I have a 6200, but I do not have HD and I'm connected to my tv via s-video.


If you plan on HD, you should consider the 6600GT rather than the 6600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Down the list:

The 7800 does everything.

The 6600 will loose you HD adaptive deinterlacing

The 6800 will loose you HD adaptive deinterlacing and WMV accelleration*

The 6200 will loose you Film mode detection and hardware accelleration >720p


The ultimate is the 7800, but comparatively the 6600 is hard to beat.
So you mean to say that the 6600 does not do HD adaptive de-interlacing? What does it do then? Adaptive de-interlacing only works for SD?


Is there any AGP card that supports HD adaptive de-interlacing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Get a 6600GT or stick w/ the 9800pro.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
The 6600GT is the best choice considering the prices of the 7800's. However, if money is no object, the 7800 would be my pick especially for the H.264 acceleration that is rumoured to be availible in the next nvidia driver release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Aw, man! Forget it then! If there is no AGP or reasonably priced card that can do HD adaptive de-interlacing, then I might as well stick with my MyHD for now.


I thought people were raving about the quality of the de-interlacing with Nvidia Purevideo cards. They must have been talking just about SD video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer
Aw, man! Forget it then! If there is no AGP or reasonably priced card that can do HD adaptive de-interlacing, then I might as well stick with my MyHD for now.


I thought people were raving about the quality of the de-interlacing with Nvidia Purevideo cards. They must have been talking just about SD video.



Or stick to 720p Hehe. I just got the gigabyte fanless 6600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
What do you mean 'stick to 720p'? Are you talking about 720p sources, or 720p display? I don't care about 1080i display at all. I will use some progressive display mode higher than 720p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
from what i have read on here, the 9800 is a very capable card. my bro has a 9800 and i believe it can be overclocked to pro speed if needed. if you need hdtv out, ati makes a dongle for about $30 that works with the 9800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was talking about 720p sources. If you got a projector that can do 1080p, i see no reason not to get a $500 7800. Hell thats like 1/2-1/4 the price of a good scaler. My poor 9pg will only do 720p, sniff sniff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer
Aw, man! Forget it then! If there is no AGP or reasonably priced card that can do HD adaptive de-interlacing, then I might as well stick with my MyHD for now.
The MyHD can't do it either, it's deinterlacing sucks.

Quote:
I thought people were raving about the quality of the de-interlacing with Nvidia Purevideo cards. They must have been talking just about SD video.
There's two things, Deinterlacing and film detection, AFIAK, the 6800/6600 can do film detection on 1080i, this is important because most content is film based. I have heard great things about the 6000 series HD playback, experienced it too :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Nightanole,


I use the ATI 9600XT, with a very quiet fan, and have had very good success with it. If you decide to go with the 9600XT you can buy a Sapphire OEM version from mwave.com for $89 now. I have two of the Sapphires and two ATIs and they both perform very well for 720p and 1080i.

Regards,

TCIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer
Aw, man! Forget it then! If there is no AGP or reasonably priced card that can do HD adaptive de-interlacing, then I might as well stick with my MyHD for now.
My old Radeon 9500 (non-pro, 256bit board) does "HD adaptive de-interlacing", I think, under specific condition (driver/decoder/renderer). Search for my DScaler 5 decoder on 1080i HD file playback thread.


A friend visited my setup a few days ago. I played the lelo rebuild and jump off building scene of the "5th element" 1080i TS. The ts is in perfectly good flag format. We can't tell the difference between pure Weave mode and Bob mode, assuming it's in "HD adaptive de-interlacing" processing, on my 1280x720 LCD projector on a 7' wide screen from 9' away.


regards,


Li On
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
The MyHD can't do it either, it's deinterlacing sucks.
It sucks? It's a simple bob, maybe, but it's always looked darn good to me - better than I've yet to see from a video card.
Quote:
There's two things, Deinterlacing and film detection, AFIAK, the 6800/6600 can do film detection on 1080i, this is important because most content is film based. I have heard great things about the 6000 series HD playback, experienced it too :).
O.k., in my terminology film detection is one kind of de-interlacing. The 6600 can do inverse 3:2 pull-down for interlaced HD material, but not motion adaptive de-interlacing?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top