AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for awhile on building my first HTPC; although I read the absolutely thorough sticky post on HD viewing on HTPC and what video is needed, I'm under the impression that that is only for BlueRay/ HD DVD viewing. If I am only watching DVDs and free OTA HD programming via MCE 2005, do I really need a "fast" video card? Could I possibly getway with building a fast and quiet HTPC but with integrated graphics? On that note, I haven't found a decent passive cooling MOBO Full-ATX board with integrated graphics. The only mobos I've seen with integrated graphics is value-type Mini-ATX boards. My goal would be to upgrade to a fast card "when" I move onto HD/BR discs.

thx,

MC

·
Registered
671 Posts
I threw together a cheap machine a couple of months ago using a gigabyte X1300 PCI-e card. It's ~$49 and has no fan, just a heatsink. It'll actually play older games at 1024x768 but I haven't tried any of the current generation games. The X1300 does AVIVO but ATI suggests it may not have the guts for vaporware HD-DVD acceleration. Time will tell. The little X1300 is very overclockable, but then you'd need a fancard next to it. If you want to cover your bases, the X1600 series has a little more horsepower and there are a couple of no fan models. Even the little X1300 card is 2-4 times as fast as an integrated graphics solution. If your monitor is 720p you can get by easily with a 6150 motherboard, but I'd go with a video card for higher resolutions. I'm lazy though. If you like tinkering for hours, I'm pretty sure you could get it to work.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrambo /forum/post/0

I'm using the integrated graphics (G965 chipset) on my full ATX Intel DG965WH motherboard. It handles DVDs and OTA HD for me. I'm using 1280x720 resolution.

Which Intel cpu are you using? Also, what make/model mobo?

EDIT: have yo tried outputting 1920x1080i with the G965? And I just saw your mobo model above.

Thanks...

-T

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Right. IGP is not bad when your uses are limited to MPEG-2 decodes (OTA HD, DVD); all modern IGPs have hardware assisted MPEG-2 decode. I'd second the recommendation for the DG965WH board, too: a friend of mine has one and it's very cool and stable, though it was finicky about which RAM it would play with (must be 1.8V).

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
My aged Radeon 9600 SE displays HD DVD right now at 1920x1080 and the picture is gorgeous.

I belive I paid something like $80 for it a few years ago.

I overclocked it a little bit with ATI tools though.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone /forum/post/0

Which Intel cpu are you using? Also, what make/model mobo?

EDIT: have yo tried outputting 1920x1080i with the G965? And I just saw your mobo model above.

Thanks...

-T

I have the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. My projector (Sanyo PLV-Z4) is native 720 so that's what I give it. It accepts 1080i though, so I just tried upping my resolution to 1920x1080 while watching some OTA HD. The projector displayed the 1080i signal via the HDMI input (I have a Prolink ADD2 card with HDMI output) with no problems. The VGA signal did not display right (scrunched horizontally) but maybe the projector isn't designed to handle that resolution via the VGA input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.