AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to drive 768p? I imagine not much....

I just bought a cheap 720p plasma (50") to replace an old analog set that just died in my family room.....I wont use it much but I do have spare computer components (C2D chip, etc) that will do well hooked up to the box as a netflix streaming, BD playing and photo slideshow machine. And maybe sometime some gaming.

768p is low-rez....and I dont want to OVERspend on a videocard.

Can someone recommend me a decent videocard (there are so many absurd classes of of Nvidia and Radeon cards it hurts my brain trying to decipher them).

I imagine a 260 black would be overkill

Also, can someone recommend a cheap motherboard that would still let me overclock the C2D chip? on my Gigabyte board I can do that chip 2.4 up to 3.3ghz...I'd probably only take it to 3.0 to keep the heat down, I dont want a loud PC near the TV so I'd use low-flow fans. Oh, on the video card, I'd probably like a quieter one....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I use a lot of 9600gt's for HTPCs that are 720/768 and 1080p. That would be enuf if all you want is to use it for media playback. All the systems using the 9600gt's can playback BD/HD DVD with no probms. Or pay a little more and get a 9800GT. Decent gaming card for lower rez's and will make a great PhysX card later on down the road. Esp ones with a single card cooler layout.

ASUS P5Q pro...cheap and as far as Ocing goes, all luck of the draw on how high you can go on a budget mobo. I use a eVGA 780i with a e8400 and run at 4.28 (3.0 stock). But I was never able to get over 4.0 with the budget P5Q's Pro. If you are thinking about the ASUS then make sure you are getting the P5Q pro since thats a full size mobo and not one of the other P5Q cut down versions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From what I understand Netflix caps the resolution to 480 on a pc stream. to get high def streaming from them i would use a bluray player with the netflix feature or an x box 360 if you need to game a little also with the netflix steaming. Could also probably find an hddvd add on drive for the 360 if you need one

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Two big questions. Are you going to be gaming at all, and does the display actually accept it's native resolution of (probably) 1366x768 over any of it's inputs? I'm going to make a guess that the answer is "no" for the native resolution. That means that for optimal image quality, your target resolution is actually 1920x1080 to feed the TV, then let it downscale to it's native res. That is, if the display accepts 1080p over HDMI.
It will look far better than feeding the display 720p to upsacle. In which case, my Geforce GTS 250 has been excellent for use at 1080p and would easily recommend one for you to use. Excellent bang for the dollar.

Not gaming? Then why are we even talking about video cards? Modern onboard video is good enough for any non-gaming purpose at this point.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The display has a "map" mode to map directly to the native rez......and it displays 1080p over HDMI.....

And yes, gaming factored into it
However as I added up the cost...I began to realize that I'm in the $400 range for components......and at $400 I'm at a PS3, so I'm now leaning away from leveraging my C2D chip.......decisions, decisions..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/16926790

Two big questions. Are you going to be gaming at all, and does the display actually accept it's native resolution of (probably) 1366x768 over any of it's inputs? I'm going to make a guess that the answer is "no" for the native resolution. That means that for optimal image quality, your target resolution is actually 1920x1080 to feed the TV, then let it downscale to it's native res. That is, if the display accepts 1080p over HDMI.
It will look far better than feeding the display 720p to upsacle. In which case, my Geforce GTS 250 has been excellent for use at 1080p and would easily recommend one for you to use. Excellent bang for the dollar.

Not gaming? Then why are we even talking about video cards? Modern onboard video is good enough for any non-gaming purpose at this point.

Agree on this. I have a pc with an Asus AM2 mobo that has an integrated X1250 video card. It works perfect for video. And in a pinch, it even can do light gaming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts