AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks as I begin my dedicated theatre construction. (I'll make a thread soon)

My room is 272.25" x 136.25" basement room with a partition wall framed in for the screen 44" off the long dimension. I do have a terribly low ceiling at 80", but there is no way I'm messing with it (walls and floor are poured concrete, as some people in 1946 feared nuclear war. The cool part is I should have excellent sound isolation. So far I've only got the studs up and wanted to take 2 weeks to read before making errors. This place has been helpful!!!

My Question:

How much viewing angle can you take before it becomes a negative?
Let's ignore resolution issues unless that becomes a negative before screen width...I'm not sure which is an issue first with a good setup. I know THX recommends 36degrees, and a minimum 26degrees, but I've read a thread here where some had 50+degree front row viewing angles (the 2.40:1 screen thread). I'll likely run a 16:9 screen, but may even do 4:3 since I'm width limited, not height limited in terms of the screen. I want to do a custom tiered couch rather than berklines, with some bean bags up front and some driving simulators for PC games in front of the couch. My concern is the 53degree or so angles in front of the couch will be too much with my couch front row at about a 38 degree viewing angle. I'm expecting my screen to be 95" diagonal.

I have links to all the calculators. I'm looking for your own real world opions on this issue.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

Quote:
but I've read a thread here where some had 50+degree front row viewing angles (the 2.40:1 screen thread).

Do the math. If you have a 36 degree viewing angle on a 1.78:1 screen, what is the viewing angle for the same height of screen extended out to a 2.40:1 aspect ratio? Answer 50 degrees there abouts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/15456958

Do the math. If you have a 36 degree viewing angle on a 1.78:1 screen, what is the viewing angle for the same height of screen extended out to a 2.40:1 aspect ratio? Answer 50 degrees there abouts.

Nope, I'm limited to about 83 inches width either way. It should be 50 degrees in 1.33:1 or 2.40:1...the former will just be a taller screen in my case.

Any feedback on what viewing angle is pushing the comfort zone? Let's assume 16:9 to save the discussion of vertical viewing angle for now.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Proximity to the screen is a function of many factors...the more commonly ignored factor is your own preference. As the viewing angle begins to exceed 35 degrees, you'll find the average individual is uncomfortable (using 1.78:1 as the aspect ratio).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/15461502

Proximity to the screen is a function of many factors...the more commonly ignored factor is your own preference. As the viewing angle begins to exceed 35 degrees, you'll find the average individual is uncomfortable (using 1.78:1 as the aspect ratio).

Thanks Dennis, that's what I was looking for. So 36degrees is relatively agressive? I had a local AV guy recommend double the screen's diagonal, but that seems under-agressive.

Good idea Art...but how do you measure the angle in the theatre? Show up early and walk around with one of those laser measuring devices?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts