AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only need to drive them at reasonable levels. like maybe 75-80db maximum. i can't take my receiver to college so i was looking at the dayton dta-100a amplifier. it's simple but apparently provides 30W/channel with minimal distortion. and up to 50W total but i think it gets pretty distorted at that level. i usually run my fs-51 at no more than maybe 70db. i checked using a db meter on my iphone. will the amount of wattage provided by the dayton amp be enough? btw, i am currently running my speakers thru a sr-508 receiver but it runs too hot and takes up too much space to be feasible in college. i also have a f12 sub but i am only taking that space permitting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a difference in voltage be a problem. the measurements on the speaker was made at 2.83V while the t-amp only provides .5V according to my knowledge.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20822718

i usually run my fs-51 at no more than maybe 70db.

Your speaker's sensitivity rating is 87dB/2.83v which means they will produce 70dB SPL @ 1M with 0.02W of power.

Allow for 10dB peaks (80dB SPL) and you require 0.2W

Double that if you sit 2M from the speakers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait. .2W. really. that seems ridiculously low. also, i saw that the dayton amp i mentioned first seemed to have issues with failure and channel imbalance. i was also looking at a audiosource AMP100 to drive my fs-51. how is the amp? would that work?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20822795

would a difference in voltage be a problem. the measurements on the speaker was made at 2.83V while the t-amp only provides .5V according to my knowledge.

2.83 volts into 8 ohms equates to one watt of power. Some speakers state input sensitivity this way, but it doesn't mean anything special.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20822837

2.83 volts into 8 ohms equates to one watt of power. Some speakers state input sensitivity this way, but it doesn't mean anything special.

oh. i see. i was not aware of that fact.
so the audio source amp100 should work fine.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20822837

Some speakers state input sensitivity this way, but it doesn't mean anything special.

It means the speaker in question isn't 8-ohms. In his case, his speakers are 6-ohms.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20822808

that seems ridiculously low.

It is what it is.
Quote:
how is the amp? would that work?

Virtually ANY amplifier will work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. i will get the audio source amp once i have determined there is suficient space in my dorm room to fit my speakers in the first place. they are small places so i should make sure i cna fit my crap in there without spending 88 bucks on a amp to find out the speakers won't fit.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20822808

wait. .2W. really. that seems ridiculously low.

Power requirements are exponential.

Without cranking to theater reference level, just listening to music either as background or late-night jazz trios, most people don't realize how little power is needed.

It used to be receivers had power meters on them. Many used to go from 0.001W or 0.01W to 100W in log scale. If you have a volume calibrated in dB, where 0 dB is the maximum output (with a just-below-clipping input voltage) and you listen at -30 dB, then you listen at 1/1000 of the max power. I often listen to music at -40 dB, so about 1/100 W peaks on a 100WPC amplifier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts