AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious who puts their Center Channel on top of their RPTV? How heavy is it, and are you worried about it causing the TV to bend in the middle? I have the new Paradigm Studio CC 470 and a Panny 47' RPTV.

ht_addict

· Registered
1,151 Posts
The manufacturers never cease to amaze me. Here we are a good 8 or so years into HT for the average person and they still don't think of normal things. Drives me nuts. Sony RPTV's have very narrow tops.. forget about putting something directly on top. Some others bow due to weight of the center speaker. Any you would think with all the room they have below the could at least allow space for you to get it inside the bottom somewhere behind the grill... But Noooooooooooooo.......

Some centers are very heavy and here are what some have done to cure any possible problems.

Cut and paint a small piece of plywood that covers the entire top of the TV and make it deep enough even a few inches deeper than your speaker. You can do the same thing with quality glass. If you do it with glass make sure and tell them at the glass shop what you are doing so they know what kind of glass to give you. It should be the type that goes onto coffee tables or eating tables. Its thicker and made stronger. Anyway both of these will do just fine and will evenly distribute the weight of the speaker across the entire TV instead of just in the one place. Kind of like a refridgerator or hot tub full of water. They take up a small space but they are averaged out over a lager area per sq. inch.

There are others that simply put their centers on a stand in front of their RPTV. I guess to each their own but I know in my house (WAF) plus I think it looks tacky. Maybe ok for a dedicated HT but then if you had that you would most likely have a front projector anyway.

· Registered
239 Posts
My center weighs 46 pounds .... is the 'digm CC-570 ... The good thing about is that it has raised feet so it will distribute the weight some what but if I start seeing a problem I will go with the idea that MRL went with which is put another piece of wood on the TV. Personally I don't like having the center in front below the screen. but that is just me.

· Registered
512 Posts
I use the tempered glass sheet, with insullation foam at the sides and rear of the TV so that the glass is raised about a quarter of an inch above the top of the TV and the weight gets distributed over the edges on the sides and rear. My center channel weighs 52 pounds.

· Registered
267 Posts
I have a Paradigm CC-350 on top of my Pioneer SD-533 and the RPTV handles the weight with no problem.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
I like my center on top. My Sony RPTV has a sloping top and I ended up building a small shelf out of a piece of MDF and some shims to fit the top. I velcroed the shelf to set and velcroed my center to the shelf. Works, but it's a pain that Sony doesn't design the cabinet with a flat top like most other sets. My B&W LCR60 center only weights about 20 lbs. so no worrys about weight. I think I would worry about trying to balance a 50 lbs center up there, though.

You have to get creative. If you use velcro, a tip is to get the "industrial" stuff from Home Depot -- it's much heavier and has better adhesive.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
JohnFr and all you others out there with narrow tops you can still do it with up to very heavy centers. I have a friend with a sony that has a center that weights probably 60 lbs. He had a shelf made and painted it silver to match the set and its as wide and somewhat deeper than the speaker. It distributes the entire weight over the whole shelf and works just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.