Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there even such a thing?

Anyway, I've been doing lots of surfing the forums, and asking around about how to prepare or prewire my house that is currently under construction. The only problem with that is you get lots and lots of suggestions... and they all seem to be different.

I'm looking to do a simple and somewhat inexpensive whole-house audio system. I'm not sure yet if I just want to pipe a single source to the whole house with VCs, or go with something more complex with multi-source and control panels.

I've been told several ways to pre-wire the house, including:

Suggestion 1: Run 14/4 from a central location (where the source is) to a VC in each room. Then run a 14/2 to each speaker location. This would provide me a way to listen to a single source around the house, adjusting the volume and turning on/off.

Suggestion 2: Run 14/4 with a Cat5e from a central location to each VC/panel. Then run a 14/2 to each speaker. This will supposedly give me more options with some of the more basic control panel systems.

Suggestion 3: Run 14/4, (2) Cat5e and (2) RG6 to each control panel. Then run 14/4 with a Cat5e to each speaker, and a Cat5e from one speaker to the other. Supposedly this prewires for any possible solution I might ever need... and is probably wiring for stuff I'll never use.

So... what is "the right way", and what is "unnecessary"? Man, I never thought this would be such a chore to figure out what I needed to do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
you need to deside what YOU are looking for from YOUR system. Ten the answer is easy.

And the only true Future proofing is conduit.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
there is no such thing as too much wire. Given what you are trying to do I would run 14x4 and a CAT5e to your VC location and a 14x4 to your first speaker and jump 14x4 to the second. See the Netstreams thread for why.

I would then run 2 RG6, 2CAT5e and a CAT3 to each TV location.

Conduit, of course, is the ultimate insurance

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Run as much wire as you can bear (and care to spend).

I'm remodelling my basement, and drywalling my ceiling access from my server room to my mainfloor/2nd floor (without going outside). So I pulled ~40 new runs (coax/cat5/12-4 speaker) into a yet to be be finished basement room that has access to the main floor...why so many?

Well, I spec'd out about 12 of those runs before I pulled them, and figured I'd triple that number to make sure I have enough for any future needs. The new runs are temporarily terminated in some surface mount boxes, and can be adapted to be any type of run that I need (RF, line level audio, composite vid, component vid, digital audio, data, phone, IR, etc).

I don't have the ability to run a conduit (goes through a beam and would be difficult to retrofit), so I'm giving myself enough "headroom" so that I can comfortably drywall in the ceiling and not worry too much that I've missed out on running something :-/

And in the future, I can adapt a data or IR line (cat5e) to video or audio when the solutions become more mainstream.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, if conduit is the ultimate "future proof", then what do people use for conduit?

I'm imagining some 1-2" PVC piping from each control panel and speaker location to the basement/attic (depending on floor). Using rounded elbows when a change of direction needs to be made, if any.

Am I over-simplifying running conduit? Am I using the "wrong" piping? Or is it that easy?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If you want an easier time pulling conduit try the Carlon conduit ( I forget what the product is called but it comes in different colors and is ribbed ). I have seen it in Home Depot and it is EXPENSIVE. But it is very flexible and you will not need to glue on couplings.

Alan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Putting together conduit is no problem. I've installed my own central vacuum in an existing house before... installing similar piping in an open frame should be a no-brainer.

However... how much and where should the conduit run? It won't do me any good if I don't run conduit where it's needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.